Orchid bark..

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a person that has used bark for 15 years, I can tell you that I love the bark. orchids require a Ph of 5.5 to 6.5, very soft water and acidic. The "orchid bark" is there to acidify it's surroundings and the reason I use it. My water is nearly Ph 8.
Funny about the tannins. If it were harmful, would it be harmful after a rain and all the tannins leached out of the dead bark and around the tree in nature......?????

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I did.

First off, this part requires a little more information. I fear that because I just tossed that fact out that this practice of his could be taken out of context. The fact is that his entire operation is based on a cohesive well thought out rationale created over time and experience.

Dan is inarguably the foremost tree collector the Pacific Northwest. We didn’t see any “starter trees” in the hundreds on site, although we did see small collected trees and a few older trees that he said were gifted to him..

I think one of the main points Dan said is he wants his trees to look old, not juvenile, so he wants them to look a little stressed.

cheers
DSD sends
Thanks DSD sends for letting me know. Yes, you answered my question.
I really like Dan Robinson's bonsai aesthetic philosophy. He has a great influence on my style.
Next time when you see him, please say hello to him for me. I met him in GSBF show about 5 years ago and he is a friend of my teacher, RIchard Ota.
p/s: if you have a chance, please take a close up picture of his Korean Black Pine's bark for me. I have 28 Korean Black Pine seedlings at this time and I like to see what the bark looks like when it is getting old. Thanks
Thụ Thoại

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everybody. I don't actually know why I posted this topic, but i'm glad I did. I certainly learnt something.
Yeah i've always been a lover of bark. Apart from having a 'natural' fracture in there, it certainly adds much value to the mix.
I personally think the old man is a bit confused about the tannins. He didn't sound very scientific about it. I'll go tell him tannins aren't the enemy... 😁
Yes Leo it is Pinus radiata. There's many suppliers of it here. This one is affordable because it's close and no shipping involved. It works out 60c per liter.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks DSD sends for letting me know. Yes, you answered my question.
I really like Dan Robinson's bonsai aesthetic philosophy. He has a great influence on my style.
Next time when you see him, please say hello to him for me. I met him in GSBF show about 5 years ago and he is a friend of my teacher, RIchard Ota.
p/s: if you have a chance, please take a close up picture of his Korean Black Pine's bark for me. I have 28 Korean Black Pine seedlings at this time and I like to see what the bark looks like when it is getting old. Thanks
Thụ Thoại
That I will!
Here’s that photo of a Korean Black Pine again. Dan got it when he was in Korea in 1962. I’m not sure if it was from seed or not, however many of his KBP are grown from seed. Best DSD sends
D52F4115-EA6B-4259-B169-BD8DA1364805.jpeg

Top Bottom