Orchid soil for bonsai

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today I found some Orchid soil that has fir bark, turface, and vermicule....Has anyone tried packaged orchid soil for bonsai?

skiblur

Seed
Reaction score
I have used it in my soil this year (roughly 1/3 of the total mix, along with 1/3 fish tank gravel and 1/3 clay kitty litter) and it has worked well. I got mine at wally world, but it was mostly bark and bits of charcoal. That mix you found sounds like it would be great just by itself. Let's see if some other members agree :)

Last edited:

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've never used it,but it sounds like an alternative.I've seen it and been tempted to try it.The vermiculite concerns me because it may hold too much water.I think if I were to use it I would sift the smaller particles out(if there are any).

andy

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I've seen it at Walmart, but the size of the bark makes it unusable for bonsai as they are too large, maybe 1/2 to 1 inch in size. At least the particular brand that they carry here,

John Lee

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've seen it at Walmart, but the size of the bark makes it unusable for bonsai as they are too large, maybe 1/2 to 1 inch in size. At least the particular brand that they carry here,

John Lee
Ever heard of a blender? It does wonders on size reduction. I use Sequoia bark (obtained from the Orchid Society) and orchid mix as my organic compoment. A cheap blender (capable of chopping ice) does a wondeful job in rendering "bonsai" size.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yes, I've heard of a blender, but I prefer to use mine for daquris and the like. I think in his post, Zappa, was asking about using it "neat", hence my reply. Anyway, I guess you could use a blender or food processor to chop up bark, if you like.

John Lee

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can never recommend organic material for most bonsai soils. Unless one is growing tropicals, there isn't much percentage in it.

Here's a link to Boon's mix and his discussion of it.

Top Bottom