Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Would this be brassia? @Leo in N E Illinois
View attachment 353195
and oncodium?
View attachment 353196
these are not my plants. Someone was looking for an ID. This is my guess.

The first is likely a Brassicidium = Oncidium x Brassia, or it could be a Miltassia = Milton is x Brassia. There are hundreds of these types of hybrids, hard to nail it down from a photo.

Second is a hybrid with a parent of Oncidium fusca. Oncidium fuscatum used to be called Odontoglossum warscewiczii, or something spelled similar. It's had a couple of name changed, I'm not sure Once. fuscatum is the current name. Anyway, the second flower is probably Onc. fuscatum hybrid. With the right second parent Oncidium fuscatum hybrids can have great fragrance.

scarriedoc

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Orchids like to be in small pots right? Im thinking this one is due for a repot. It seems rootbound and drainage is slow. Should I put it in a bigger pot?View attachment 353230
I wouldn't repot it until it is done blooming. Enjoy the flowers. I have a couple in my office that have roots climbing out of the pot all over the place, but they keep blooming so I leave them alone.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The first is likely a Brassicidium = Oncidium x Brassia, or it could be a Miltassia = Milton is x Brassia. There are hundreds of these types of hybrids, hard to nail it down from a photo.

Second is a hybrid with a parent of Oncidium fusca. Oncidium fuscatum used to be called Odontoglossum warscewiczii, or something spelled similar. It's had a couple of name changed, I'm not sure Once. fuscatum is the current name. Anyway, the second flower is probably Onc. fuscatum hybrid. With the right second parent Oncidium fuscatum hybrids can have great fragrance.
Thanks- yes she said the darker spiky flowers smell peppery.

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
It is nice to see a thread on orchids here in bonsainut. The past few years I've been interested in miniatures. Here is a small desk setup with 5 orchids, the Lepanthes telipogoniflora has been in bloom for the past 4-5 months. Pen is there to show scale.IMG_5736.jpg

Top Bottom