Orchids

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Does anyone use orchids?
I love tiny orchids- I can never get them to rebloom. I know I don't fertilize enough.
They are easy enough to grow though.
Just curious if there was any here.

zachkent29

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a few. I had about 20 last year but now I'm down to 3. I gave them away to make room for trees!

Key to blooming for me was adding more sunlight.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have always wanted to do this, but never seem to find the time.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The key to blooming IS light. I tend to water mine once or twice per week but I keep mine indoors where they get plenty of light. It really depends on the species obviously. Generally speaking, they are easier to care for than bonsai.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a few non-bonsai phalaenopsis, but would love to see some dwarf/miniature ones as accents. I feed mine a few times a year with fish emulsion, and they bloom annually.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Key to blooming for me was adding more sunlight.
I feel like they get enough light.
They are in the same window as my ficus. They are inside a well vented terraium right next to a double wide south west window.
They get several hours of direct or filtered light depending if the sheers are drawn. They grow well.
I only have brassavola sp. right now.
I may pick up a couple other warm growers this year.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The problem with that theory is I have had them about 4-5 years. Lol
I think I need to either use ferts or offer a cold period at the end of summer to get them to bloom.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes I'm surprised you had that much patience. Moving them outside for a while may help. Fertilise weakly, weekly.
Yes I have heard that before. I need to follow through. Thanks

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At one time (before bonsai) I had a modest collection, maybe 100 plants in total. Many different species. Some were reliable bloomers, others sporadic, others never bloomed. I know that some orchids must be a certain age/size to bloom. Others require a particular seasonal pattern, i.e. a cool dry period with lots of sun, that can be tough to replicate in some areas. Some are very sensitive to water quality and type of fertilizer.

Right now I have one orchid, a small phalaenopsis that is currently blooming. I get tempted every time I see orchids in nurseries or in Lowes, especially when they go on the discount rack. Often those are infested with something (scale, mites). There is so much variety, they are fascinating and beautiful plants.

Kandoloh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A vendor at Home Depot from a really reputable company here in central Texas said to put 3 ice cubes in to water and the cold water makes them bloom. I don't know if that works or not and I'm not sure what time of year but maybe it works?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The ice cube theory does work. (At least in the little experience I've had with orchids. I've had mine for 3 years watering once a week with 3 small ice cubes. The tag that came with them actually had that method written on under the care notes. They have bloomed annually. Hope this helps!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I heard from an orchid person, I think Leo, that the ice is BS.

@ColinFraser @Leo in N E Illinois

What say you?

I got one a while back, 2 years, and it has grown as many leaves. That's 2, for you slower folks.

Crazy cuz it grew nice new fleshy roots from seemingly dead dry shriveled old roots.

The roots look Wangish.

I just repotted it. It's doing better!

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think the ice trick may work with phals. My orchids are all mounted so no substrate.
I should start a new potted one.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did a little googling after reading this thread. Since I really don't grow orchids these days, I wasn't aware of the ice cube trick. Here is one link where it is discussed at some length: http://oregonorchidsociety.org/ice-cubes-and-orchids

An excerpt:

"This is one of the most interesting supports of ice-watering. It is true that some (not all) Phalaenopsis, and a number of other orchids, use seasonal cool drops to know when to bloom. It may very well be true that cooling the roots will trigger blooming – especially with Phalaenopsis that are sensitive to root temperature. That said, constantly “triggering” your orchid to bloom could be detrimental. Some of the larger orchid growers use stress to bring orchids to blooming in order to sell them..."

and it goes on to discuss the idea that you don't necessarily want to be adding the constant stress of blooming to your plants.

Top Bottom