Ordering Trident Maple

JakeH

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After trying to find a good source of trident maples, I came across this post which said to try Evergreen Gardenworks.

Having never ordered online, I'm somewhat cautious on what to expect. I'm planning on just getting a 4" 'Evergreen's Rough Bark' to ground grow on a tile while I'm in college. I Figure by the time I'm out I'll have something small to work on.

So my question is: does anyone have some experience in ordering from them? I'd like something with a decent foundation (no excessively gnarly roots, some movement close to the ground) but ordering online seems like luck of the draw.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bought one from Brent this spring, it was also the 4” rough bark trident. I have it planted in the ground and it is growing great this summer, it threw out many new branches.
I’ve been very happy with the trees I have bought from Brent and will hopefully be buying many more from him.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you have space, go ahead and order more than one tree.

They are very well rooted cuttings, creating the movement is up to you.

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks is the real deal. The trees that I bought from him were packaged extremely well, and the trees themselves were better quality than what I was expecting. I’ve been so happy with him that he’s my first choice for buying trees online. I’ve never seen anyone who was unhappy with him.

If you want to read more about Brent, look here:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/evergreen-gardenworks.89/

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Does anyone have preferences as to what time of year is best to order a maple?
I would think that late winter/very early spring would be best...so that you don't have to over winter a tree that comes to you dormant...
Obviously this is climate dependant.

Lonefrog

Seedling
Reaction score
I have been looking at evergreen gardenworks too for ordering a cherry tree. I am glad to hear it is an upstanding business.

JakeH

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Awesome, I'll definitely order one of those with confidence now. Its great to know so many people have positive things to say about them.

Does anyone have preferences as to what time of year is best to order a maple?

I was also wondering this, because I'm not sure I see a point in overwintering the tree in my location. I'll probably just wait until early spring to order it, and put it in the ground when the time is right.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome, I'll definitely order one of those with confidence now. Its great to know so many people have positive things to say about them.

I was also wondering this, because I'm not sure I see a point in overwintering the tree in my location. I'll probably just wait until early spring to order it, and put it in the ground when the time is right.

I ordered mine in the early spring it was just beginning to show signs of buds, I placed it with my other trees in a shed and it did great.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Brent has great material. These small maples need a lot of care though. If you are putting them directly in ground, I recommend something like these translucent tubes. The tridents I have in the tubes are double the size of the ones without protection.

Attachments

• IMG_20180902_121905.jpg
    IMG_20180902_121905.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 42

JakeH

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Brent has great material. These small maples need a lot of care though. If you are putting them directly in ground, I recommend something like these translucent tubes. The tridents I have in the tubes are double the size of the ones without protection.

True, I'll have to make sure that even when I'm away they're being taken care of as well as possible. I was thinking about rigging up a little automatic drip irrigation system for however many maples I order, though I'd have to test it a lot before I'd be confident in its reliability. Nevertheless, there will always be a set of eyes on them if something were to go wrong.

Those tubes look interesting though, I'm down for anything to increase their growth rate. Do those only stay on while they're young?

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes, just for the first year or so. They are kind of like a mini greenhouse. For me at least they are good insurance to increase the survival rate of seedlings.

Top Bottom