Oregon right now

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
It’s crazy. I was just telling someone I can’t ever remember a cooler summer here in Georgia. We have had days recently in the 70s. It is the inverse in north west and mountain areas.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
We've had 4 days now not getting over 70, with plenty of rain and lows in the 40s. It's typical early June weather for here, but seems odd because it comes after a string of 90+ days.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Last summer we had 3 days in a row at 115, killed some of my garden avocado trees, but surprisingly the bonsai all made it. It’s crazy up there right now.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seattle just broke its daily record by 18 degrees(!). And we may not have hit the daily high yet. Last 2 days have been all-time records going back to the 1880s at least.

I'm looking at 110F outside right now in a place that's only reached 100F 3 times in the last 100+ years. Completely without precedent.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
We got 112 last two weeks. Thank god my Shade Cloth arrived on time.
I use 50% on my trees and 75% on my delicate trees such as chojubai's.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The difference for the PNW is just how far outside of normal these temps are, not that other places don't also reach 110F.

For context, while it's 110 outside right now, the average June 28 temperature for our area is 74.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
The difference for the PNW is just how far outside of normal these temps are, not that other places don't also reach 110F.

For context, while it's 110 outside right now, the average June 28 temperature for our area is 74.
The real killer for me is the wind. We have a constant 5-15mph so even in the shade this heat is moving around and desiccating everything.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Crazy hot here! I hate to whine, but there it is!

It’s like Scottsdale on a hot summer day! The bonsai are all in half or mostly shade and their pots are the warmest I’ve ever felt. I forgot to put all of the hose in shade and the first blast out of it was really hot water. Good thing I was only watering the concrete path ahead of me!

Looks like I’ve got to figure out how to rig up some decent shade cloth out back.

Going out into the wind is like facing a open blast furnace. Now I know what the folks in the Phoenix club have to contend with summer!

Stay cool!
DSD sends

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Last summer we had 3 days in a row at 115, killed some of my garden avocado trees, but surprisingly the bonsai all made it. It’s crazy up there right now.
Yeah, we had 117 and 111 and then a few days over 100. We lost several plants.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At the southern end of the state and up at 3000' I maxed out at 97°F and already down to 93°F . A bit hotter down in the valley.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
39.5 degrees Celsius today 103 degrees Fahrenheit with 25% humidity and light winds. just finished my fourth watering tour today. This is hot for our neck of the woods. Breaking records across the pacific northwest and prairies! Even my pines are complaining:eek:
This is not what the real estate people told us when we asked about the spring weather. But then it is early summer right!
Typical temperature at this time of year is 22 degrees celsius or 72 degrees Fahrenheit.
I have moved everything I can under the shade cloth portion this week.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Dang guys! That's some serious heat.
Thanks for converting it to °C @River's Edge !
Hottest we ever got here was 41°C in the shade two years ago. This year, we have a very fruitfull summer. Enough showers to keep things green, average temperatures.
Last three years did a number on oaks, pines and especially spruce. Haven't seen that many dead spruce in my life; entire stands in the woods just dead.

Watch out for the beetles, people. Cause they be commin! Less sap due to drought = less resistance to larvae = greater feeding grounds = explosion of tree killers next year. Woodpeckers over here are as fat as thanksgiving turkeys.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
PNW heat made the news all the way down here. Those temps are hot even compared to our usual warm summers. Thank goodness there's no such thing as global warming!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dang guys! That's some serious heat.
Thanks for converting it to °C @River's Edge !
Hottest we ever got here was 41°C in the shade two years ago. This year, we have a very fruitfull summer. Enough showers to keep things green, average temperatures.
Last three years did a number on oaks, pines and especially spruce. Haven't seen that many dead spruce in my life; entire stands in the woods just dead.

Watch out for the beetles, people. Cause they be commin! Less sap due to drought = less resistance to larvae = greater feeding grounds = explosion of tree killers next year. Woodpeckers over here are as fat as thanksgiving turkeys.
Canada uses Celsius so the conversion to Fahrenheit was actually for our southern neighbours on BNUT.
Most of the additional watering is to keep pot and container temperatures down to limit root damage for the bonsai. last year was a real problem for beetles and larvae. This year the gypsy moth is creating havoc.

Top Bottom