Organic component options for Airpots?

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
What is the typical organic component for Air pruning pots in regards to deciduous trees like Hornbeam and Maples? Right now I have bonsai jacks universal organic mix, it still seems too inorganic though and drys out quicker than I’d like. Looking to add something to it.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What is the typical organic component for Air pruning pots in regards to deciduous trees like Hornbeam and Maples? Right now I have bonsai jacks universal organic mix, it still seems too inorganic though and drys out quicker than I’d like. Looking to add something to it.
Sifted soil conditioner would be my suggestion... it's essentially composted pine bark.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Fine fir bark works well if you can find it. Usually it's sold in bulk by a scoop loader.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fine fir bark works well if you can find it. Usually it's sold in bulk by a scoop loader.
I am not aware of Fir bark being offered on the east coast in bulk. Lots of pine bark though. Fir bark holds up longer than pine bark does.
Do you have a source for bulk Fir bark?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am not aware of Fir bark being offered on the east coast in bulk. Lots of pine bark though. Fir bark holds up longer than pine bark does.
Do you have a source for bulk Fir bark?
I have seen it at this place in the past (Davidsonville location), but you need a truck or trailer to have it loaded. It is out back in the yard by the barn. If you Google map it you can see it in aerial view.

https://homesteadgardens.com/

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
something like this?

Attachments

• D902433F-49C7-4D6B-B98E-839E4BE5F5A1.jpeg
    D902433F-49C7-4D6B-B98E-839E4BE5F5A1.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 7

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I would get G&B harvest supreme or the acidic mix (as needed) and sift a little as the organic substrate.
Both are chunkier for in ground planting.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I am in Orlando and Bonsai Jack’s universal mix allows me to water every other day right now. I am going to water at least everyday once it gets hot for sure.

Top Bottom