Organic fertilizer cakes.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been meaning to make my own for some years now. Today I did. I want to make a progression thread of it for future reference.
I got the idea from @MichaelS (Thanks Mike)
There is a whole array of possible mixtures, but I used Rape seed meal, Fish meal, Blood and Bone meal and Seaweed meal in a 5/1/1/0.5 ratio. All together weighed 5.0 kg. I also added 150ml molasses. It helps with faster fermentation, and provides some extras.
I should actually have taken more photos, but you'll get the idea...it's very simple.
The mixture
IMG_20200808_170724.jpg
I then warmed the molasses (flows better) and added it to some rain water, and started adding in to the mix. Don't know how much water I used, but the texture should just hold together without falling apart. To wet and it might rot. To little and it don't compact well. I didn't take photos of that, but here's a screen shot of how Mike described it

Screenshot_20200808-211422~2.png

I was a bit worried about how much water to add, but it comes together and you'll know when it's right. Just add little by little and mix properly.
I then packed it into seed trays and cut into squares.
IMG_20200808_180950.jpgApparently it's fermenting now. I'll see tomorrow what it smells like. Then it has to be left to dry for a few weeks.
I'm worried already how to keep the rodents out. They apparently love it as it's highly nutritious and smells yummy to them.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you sure the molassis is a good idea? Can you give some more information why you added it or what it provides?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not an essential element but it's a rich source of nutrients, sugar and carbon. Also provides organic acids for faster fermentation. It basically aids the microbes in the fermentation process.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Fredman,
I read on here different ways to contain the cakes so rodents etc don’t eat it. Tea bags and little fertiliser basket things each kind of do the job, now I am wondering what your next move is. As I guess dry storage is the easy part.
So with the NPK of these type of cakes being minimum, are you going to use chem ferts also, because all I see the cakes usefulness is the biological benefits.
Not trying to start a fertiliser war, just interested in the process, and looking forward to the thread progressing.
Charles

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Fredman,
I read on here different ways to contain the cakes so rodents etc don’t eat it. Tea bags and little fertiliser basket things each kind of do the job, now I am wondering what your next move is. As I guess dry storage is the easy part.
So with the NPK of these type of cakes being minimum, are you going to use chem ferts also, because all I see the cakes usefulness is the biological benefits.
Not trying to start a fertiliser war, just interested in the process, and looking forward to the thread progressing.
Charles
Oh boy I have my work cut out with the rats. One ate through the bag of rape seed meal. I put that bag into a thicker bag and it ate through that to. I then took everything and put it into a plastic tub. Couldn't believe my eyes the next morning...it ate through the plastic tub and the two bags
IMG_20200809_214938.jpg
I have a plan mate. I'll cover all pots (and cakes) like this....6mm steel mesh. I have a whole roll of it.
IMG_20200731_143659.jpg

I'm more than happy with the NPK of the ingredients. The rape seed varies (from research) from 4.6.5 to 5.2.1
The fish meal is 5.2.2
Blood and Bone is 6.3.2
Don't know what the end product equates to but it will provide more than the trees needs. I don't want to chase growth. The slow release is what i'm after. I just want healthy trees that grows at their own natural rate...and hopefully the minimum of pests and deseases.
Nah no chemical fertilizers.
I'll add fish emulsion to. This is a learning experience for me...have to start somewhere.

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The nitrogen level will be fine for azaleas. Now if I can only figure a way to keep the ants out of my cakes! Don't really like using Sevin.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
See if the rodents can eat pepper, cinnamon etc.
Nah mate, i'm not going to throw my valuable spices to the damn rats...besides, these might be Caribbean rats and want more 😂
And check into micro-nutrients.

Ah Ants there's way more micros in there that is needed. Interesting...Plants only need 17 elements to, not only survive, but thrive. The seaweed meal contains something like 80 elements.
I'm worried about over over feeding them...hopefully they don't all grow into blobby little sumos 🤪

Last edited:

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The nitrogen level will be fine for azaleas. Now if I can only figure a way to keep the ants out of my cakes! Don't really like using Sevin.
THAT is my main concern. I hope it don't attracts ants....time will tell.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use Plantone to make mine. I mix a seaweed fertilizer in it for micronutrients and flour as a binding agent.
The ants dont go after them but my dogs like to eat them if they can reach them.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use Plantone to make mine. I mix a seaweed fertilizer in it for micronutrients and flour as a binding agent.
The ants dont go after them but my dogs like to eat them if they can reach them.
Yeah I did some research and loved the look of Plantone...and Biogold. Problem is I have to import and that makes it to expensive.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mmm potential problem....well more of a concern really. The cakes are covered with a mold layer.
IMG_20200813_141639.jpg
The mold as such don't bother me. When it dries it'll disappear. What worries me is it didn't ferment. Just smelt (still smelling actually) like a cake/bread batter mix. I was concerned at the start that it won't ferment. It might've, if it was kept together for a few days maybe...before it was flattened....?
Don't really know why it should ferment TBH...? Anybody has any explanation about why it should ferment? @MichaelS
I'm still trusting in the process though. I'll wait for it to dry and use it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think Ferment is actually what will happen, I am thinking of pottery for fermentation, kimchi and such.

I do know, that when it comes to Large Rats, the Fur Meant shooting and selling pelts.

Sorce

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
the molasses might attract the ants and the blood and bone meal could attract the rodents. i use blood and bone meal but make sure to mix it in or put it half way in my soil mix.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It'll definitely attract rodents, but i'm ready for em 👍
It's the ants i'm worried about. I don't want to throw ant poison in my pots...🥴

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You 'ferment' clay? Tell me more plz... 🤨

We age it! Lol!

I was think about he jars themselves though.

Note the deep water groove, I read something about the water allowing certain bacteria through, but not oxygen blah blah blah...

Capture+_2020-08-13-17-04-37.png

"Fermentation", don't know how wide that definition actually is.🤷🏻‍♂️

Sorce

Top Bottom