Organic Fertilizer from worm compost.

Munch9

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Me and my wife have been using a worm composter for the past 3 months, it already has lots of liquid organic fertilizer, which is recommended to be diluted in water to use.
My questions are simple:

Can I use this fertilizer on my recently repotted pre-bonsai?

Whats is its best use? How often?

Can I use it while using a 10-10-10 fertilizer?

1622126975388.png

Munch9

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The questions we pose you in order to answer yours shouldn't be!

Having a lot of liquid after 3 months sounds "unbalanced".

Sorce
Everything seems pretty normal, not lots, but a good amount, maybe is something to due with the heat of my zone.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
heat of my zone.

Especially in Black plastic.

The way I've come to understand the "juice", is you are actually manually adding water, and collecting that runoff.

If you haven't added water, it seems it could only be possible with a over abundance of greens, in your browns and greens balance.

I "smell" banana peel juice. Hot banana peel juice would likely provide too much of one thing, or nothing worth adding.

Perhaps you could get it tested? Or more riskily....tasted!😜

I would think tea bagging smaller particles, from what may be your collector body itself, would be the safest and most effective use of "compost fertilizer".

I am anxiously awaiting filling some grow beds with my chicken poo compost. I just keep a pile with screen on one end and wood around 2 other sides. Shovel back what the chickens scratch out the open end and turn it every month or so. Fitting to Veg Hard!

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Having juice from your worm farm is normal due to high water content of most kitchen scraps. 'Lots' is a comparative term and will mean different things to different people. Actual amount will depend on the mix of stuff fed to the worms.

Worm juice is fine for bonsai. I have used it straight from the worm farm and watered in but may be better to dilute as recommended. Let it rest for a couple of days so particles can settle out before use on potted plants.
Worm juice usually has pretty low nutrient value but actual composition depends what has gone into the worm farm so will vary from batch to batch. Unlike chemical fert it will never be strong enough to harm your plants.
Due to low concentration of nutrients it is best used in conjunction with a real fertilizer like your 10-10-10.
There should be no problem using worm juice every week if you want to or just dilute the 10-10-10 with worm juice as directed and use the combined fert mix every 2-3 weeks.

The solid worm castings may not be good for bonsai if used often. Fine particles can clog the spaces in a small pot.

Top Bottom