Oriental Fruit Moth (OFM) - Yard Prunus

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I posted about the nectarine my friend gave me…maybe working with the root stock for bonsai. I ended putting it in the ground and I’m happy I did so. Some of the best nectarines I have ever had.

Anyway any of you prunus lovers have issues with OFM? Little moth drops eggs on the growing tip. It hatches and the larva burrows in the growth tip killing the end. I first noticed dried dead tips and was wondering about my watering or lack there of. I then saw the “flagging” where a new tiny leaf falls down dead brown and determined it was OFM. I lost about 10 new growth tips to OFM…right in the prime growing season here in 10b. Looks like a neem Spinosad mix has it under control. I will have to remember to start spraying late June next year. Any of you have issues with OFM?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was wondering what that was! Found three or so.
But my tree doesn't seem bothered with it at all.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very irritating, I've just been cutting the tips off my peach and cherry tree so far. There was a big wave earlier in the year and then it's been pretty sporadic afterwards. I'm wondering if I should spray something but the yard trees are still growing vigorously even with the unplanned tip pruning.

Top Bottom