Oriental Hornbeam #2

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Beautiful piece of work. It's one thing to start out with a spectacular piece of material it is another to turn it into a gorgeous example of art as you have done here.

D

Deleted member 21616

Love this tree!

Can i please ask, when the tree spent 10 years in the wood box, was the tree planted on a tile or plate to encourage that root flare? Or were the roots worked every few years throughout those ten years to encourage flare?

Also, when in the wood box, was it in ordinary potting soil?

Thank you!
Derek

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Derek,
the tree apparently was just planted into the box with substrate - baked loam in this case. It was never worked on, just left alone very much. The person had noch much clue of bonsai styling I assume.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Derek,
the tree apparently was just planted into the box with substrate - baked loam in this case. It was never worked on, just left alone very much. The person had noch much clue of bonsai styling I assume.
You have done a stellar job with the tree, it's incredible.

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Love this tree!

Can i please ask, when the tree spent 10 years in the wood box, was the tree planted on a tile or plate to encourage that root flare? Or were the roots worked every few years throughout those ten years to encourage flare?

Also, when in the wood box, was it in ordinary potting soil?

Thank you!
Derek
I assume that the root flare was already there when the tree was collected. He just uncovered it. You'd never create that in a pot or box.

Top Bottom