Oriental Hornbeam #40

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love the tree,dont really care for how the thick lower branch curls up
I would not go as far as saying I don't like the upturned branch as much as I don't think I understand it. Most likly I am just missing something (wouldn't be the first time. Not even the first time today).
I highly doubt someone of Walters caliber did not leave/design that branch without good reason.
I wonder if Walter, or someone else, would be willing to describe the why behind that branch for us?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would not go as far as saying I don't like the upturned branch as much as I don't think I understand it. Most likly I am just missing something (wouldn't be the first time. Not even the first time today).
I highly doubt someone of Walters caliber did not leave/design that branch without good reason.
I wonder if Walter, or someone else, would be willing to describe the why behind that branch for us?
You should research the term fairy tale bonsai. Its very imaginative, and sometimes even creepy. It is in this vein that the lower thick branch is styled. Very cool actually. I’m sure Walter can explain better what he is building here.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You should research the term fairy tale bonsai. Its very imaginative, and sometimes even creepy. It is in this vein that the lower thick branch is styled. Very cool actually. I’m sure Walter can explain better what he is building here.
To me its the overall thickness of that branch that is .....interesting... to me it causes a strange dilemma in the proportions of it all...
Nonetheless, its certainly imaginative and awesome, with a powerful nebari...its an amazing tree.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good call!
I did that and the second item that came up was from "Walter Pall Bonsai Adventures", so I got to read it in his own words.
http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-fairy-tale-bonsai-style.html
The tree make much more sense to me now. Thanks!!!

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Walter you always have the most amazing trees, I think I have watched every video you have. Love the way the lower branch looks like it’s flexing its muscle.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
like it’s

I Didn't get that human characteristic till you made mention. Nice!

Did you catch the tree inspiration videos?
Those are the best!

S

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Very impressive tree. While the secondary trunk may not be classic bonsai style, to remove it would remove the soul of the tree. Some of my trees are impressive to me...........maybe not to others. If someone gives me grief about the style of one of them, I just say "It's the Fairy Tale style ( roll eyes here for effect). You should get out more." HA!!

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok so I just got done watching the fairy tale videos and I have to say I finally found my style. I have some trees that will be nice and elegant one day with work and patience, but nature didn’t make all trees pretty so I intend to have people enjoy those too. Thanks Walter for showing the best style IMO.

Sandevbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Just my humble contribution to Walters insiping fairy tree...
This is very fresh material...photo from last winter first editing of future basic branch outline...consider this a sketch....
Now...whole season passed and the crown is much denser. This winter I will do rewiring and further developing a tree s crown....
This is a very big and old tree...it is 60kg with the pot and measuring 50cm of nebari and 65-70cm of hight

I call it 'old man of the forest'

0CA075DD-890F-4353-86BE-FBEDEB870F09.jpeg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
An appropriate name you have given to your tree, @Sandevbonsai Sebastijan :)
You might want to create a new thread for this tree...

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I personally love the big 'upper cut punch' style branch. It works with this tree and the powerful base...... its not 'traditional' per se but not much on this tree is..... and hey it still looks great because of a balance of multiple other elements. Awesome work as usual

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love what you guys are doing with old stumps, I would rather have a stump that looks awesome. So many times people over look the potential in flawed character, but I think the way they look is the appeal of the tree. I’m sold on the old stumps and will be trying my hand at it this spring. Keep up the good work and awesome videos.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What makes Walter's trees so appealing is that no matter how wild or odd looking the material is, visual balance is achieved amidst the untraditional structures. A cat always lands on all fours.
I second that

Top Bottom