Oriental Hornbeam #46

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for sharing the Bonsai and full size trees pictures, did you carve that uro? Do you apply any preservative? Although the deadwoid still white It looks natural, I have to carve a couple of shohin with wounds/ 'uros' that this species will never close.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you for sharing the Bonsai and full size trees pictures, did you carve that uro? Do you apply any preservative? Although the deadwoid still white It looks natural, I have to carve a couple of shohin with wounds/ 'uros' that this species will never close.

That uro was made by a very big stone which was in the root ball and removed at collection time. I use no preservatives. Big holes will not close. Deadwood will eventually rot. A big hole will be the result. Contrary to general opinion this will NOT hurt or even kill the tree. It can well be a feature.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That uro was made by a very big stone which was in the root ball and removed at collection time. I use no preservatives. Big holes will not close. Deadwood will eventually rot. A big hole will be the result. Contrary to general opinion this will NOT hurt or even kill the tree. It can well be a feature.
Have you seen deadwood in broad leaves trees that you don't like and why?, Any sort of % to live vs deadwood? Are big Jin or sharis any good in your opinion?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Have you seen deadwood in broad leaves trees that you don't like and why?, Any sort of % to live vs deadwood? Are big Jin or sharis any good in your opinion?

he just posted a Beech with a hollow trunk, https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/european-beech-7.38891/#post-794698
you could say that the initial stripping of wood created a shari, then it was hollowed out!

did you see the field elm, see the dead wood in the crown

i think these deadwood features are convincing and what i would come across in the forest or woods. its very common to see such trees in the UK. the big question you can ask yourself is, can i make it look convincing as if nature did it!

Last edited:

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, thank you for pointing that out! but WP just asked me to don't ask him more questions, which to be fair he has answered kindly before. So I won't either follow your reply or comment on his post... perhaps I just should take a break away from here.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
perhaps you should bookmark posts and threads, youtube content. then you can refer back to them rather than repeating the same questions in a different way.
works

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
perhaps you should bookmark posts and threads, youtube content. then you can refer back to them rather than repeating the same questions in a different way.
works
Perhaps you right but believe me I got many and well organize bonsai bookmarks wich many of us have but not easy to go trow.. in any case, a common or understandable mistake/situation on my part. To answer questions with pictures is good but still we need words in order to search for it or to be well understood.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
your question was a silly one really and one thats been answered many times over. there are many videos and threads where Walter discusses his views on deadwood, wounds, holes on deciduous trees. there is an entire video series on youtube, sandevbonsai.
his students in Croatia have 100s of images on FB and Instagram of deadwood work on deciduous trees and of course there is Walters bonsai adventures, so the content isnt hard to find and favourite or bookmark to refer back to. and as you said, Walter has answered your questions re his views on wounds/deadwood.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok if you insist on answering please provide the link answering that specific question but is not enough just calling it silly and saying it has been answered many times before.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
do your own research.
i went out of my way to show you a thread of a hollow beech only posted yest, then a field elm with dead jins in the crown, threads that probably passed you by. maybe youre just lazy

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Superbaum. Wurde mich freuen die Herbstfarbung dieses jahr zu sehen. Toller Baum!

Top Bottom