Ornamental Bonsai Sculpture

benny350

Seed
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I thought I would share this here. I'm a 3d Artist when I'm not playing with my trees but recently I mixed them together and this is the result. I've uploaded it to Shapeways which is a 3d printing service where the model can be printed and bought. It stands 15cm tall and is printed in a high strength plastic material, these pics are only renders of the sculpture but I will update with actual photos once my one arrives.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bennysbonsai

Cheers, Benny

Bonsai_001.jpg

Bonsai_002.jpg

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
looks cool. If it's a 3D model, wouldn't it be "produced" as opposed to "printed", as "printing", to me, means putting ink on paper...?

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a new type of printer that does "print" in 3 dimensions. They use a thermoplastic material as the "ink" and builds up the plastic on sucessive pases of the print head. They used to cost tens of thousands$$$ but smaller versions are appearing for the home market. I read recently of a surgeon using this type of printer to print a new jawbone for implantation in humans.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats just... wow. amazing :p ... what will they come up with next? Ha.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
This is a new type of printer that does "print" in 3 dimensions. They use a thermoplastic material as the "ink" and builds up the plastic on sucessive pases of the print head. They used to cost tens of thousands$$$ but smaller versions are appearing for the home market. I read recently of a surgeon using this type of printer to print a new jawbone for implantation in humans.
Just heard this on the radio! Belgium I believe..
This is great though. Very cool idea. Being an illustrator myself I've always wondered about 3D and the infinite possibilities.
Are you using cinema 4d or rhino or what?

Great!

benny350

Seed
Reaction score
I use Maya for the base and then take it to Zbrush to do some sculpting:)

benny350

Seed
Reaction score
It finally arrived today. I'm really happy with how well it turned out. It needed a few tweaks as many of the finer branches were too small to print so the most of the tree was thickened. Let me know what you think.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bennysbonsai

BB_S01-001_01.jpg

BB_S01-001_03.jpg

BB_S01-001_04.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like it, it almost looks like coral in texture. very artistic, better than the stamps!

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
neat stuff. i'd recommend letting it grow out a little, then pruning/pinching to build more ramification. :cool:

seriously, seems like a pretty cool tool. hopefully "they're" working on a 3d scanner, so we can scan our trees and upload for others to make real 3d digital suggestions for us.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The branches looked like coral to me too, I would not have mentioned it but it was already brought up. I bet in a few years, another generation or two of the equipment and they will be able to print the finest of details. It is an amazing technology with seemingly endless possibilities. My first thought was of fire victims who have had their ears and noses burned off, this being plastic it would seem they could rebuild the prosthetic replacement and graft skin over it.

ed

Top Bottom