Osaka and Nagoya

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

will be visiting Osaka and Nagoya for business and would like to see some nice bonsai there.

Any suggestions as to where to go and if I do decide to purchase (import legally) back to Canada. Any nurseries do that in Osaka and Nagoya?

Thank you

JZ

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Osaka is near Kyoto, the former Imperial capital, some of the oldest temples, gardens, castles and cultural sights are in or near Kyoto. I will have to hit the web, but there are a few bonsai nurseries in that area, not as many as near Omiya. Contact one or two of the USA based students who recently did apprenticeships in Japan, they may have suggestions. Peter Tea, Mat Reel, Owen Reich, and others may have ideas for you.

I can't help with importing to Canada, but I think it is slightly less complicated than importing to the USA. Still complicated, key is finding a Canadian nursery with import license willing to receive the plants for you.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably the best way to import a tree into Canada is to find someone in Japan who can import it for you. I know there are a few people who know how for the U.S. market. Might ask Bill Valavanis if he knows a contact there familiar with importing to your country.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Some Japanese nurseries have inspected quarantine areas, where the trees can serve the quarantine period in Japan. But you need to check with Canadian officials to make sure they're willing to work with the Japanese Nursery you pick.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score

Omiya and Kinashi would not be close to Osaka or Nagoya...

Fujikawa Kouka-en address: 563-0043 Ikeda City, Osaka, 3-19-13 Kanda (Tel: 072-752-9024) I believe this is where Bjorn did his apprenticeship.

Aichi En in Nagoya
Contact

住所: 〒454-0834 名古屋市中川区丸米町2-75

℡: 052-351-4064

携帯: 090-1564-2134

Email: bonsainagoya@yahoo.co.jp

Address: 2-75 Marugome-cho Nakagawa-ku Nagoya-city Aichi-ken, 454-834

Telephone: 81-52-351-4064

Cellphone: 81-90-1564-2134

Email: BonsaiNagoya@yahoo.co.jp

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do I need to call them first before visiting? or they are open to the public?

Thank you

JZ

Omiya and Kinashi would not be close to Osaka or Nagoya...

Fujikawa Kouka-en address: 563-0043 Ikeda City, Osaka, 3-19-13 Kanda (Tel: 072-752-9024) I believe this is where Bjorn did his apprenticeship.

Aichi En in Nagoya
Contact

住所: 〒454-0834 名古屋市中川区丸米町2-75

℡: 052-351-4064

携帯: 090-1564-2134

Email: bonsainagoya@yahoo.co.jp

Address: 2-75 Marugome-cho Nakagawa-ku Nagoya-city Aichi-ken, 454-834

Telephone: 81-52-351-4064

Cellphone: 81-90-1564-2134

Email: BonsaiNagoya@yahoo.co.jp

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Do I need to call them first before visiting? or they are open to the public?

Thank you

JZ

It would probably be best to send an email and ask...
Just a side story, about 4 years ago I was walking my daughter to school during her stay with my wife's parents in Japan.
I noticed a yard filled with all types of really nice bonsai. It was definitely a private residence.
So in my nicest Japanese I asked the person at the house if I could take pictures of the bonsai in their yard.
The lady (I will assume it was the bonsai owners daughter) said no...So I just settled for pics of my wife's fathers
hobby trees.

Moral of the story....It is better to ask.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I emailed them and asked last Tuesday, no reply yet. Also, sent a message through Bjorn's site to see if he can let me know. no answer.

Going to try to call them to see.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
What day and time do you plan to visit each location and I will send an email in Japanese. Also give me some ideas of what you would like to do?
Do you want to observe apprentices working, do you just want to take pictures of some of the trees? How long have you been doing bonsai, what is your collection like,
what is your job and the reason you are visiting Japan.

The more info I can give in the email the better opportunity for response.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
I would encourage you to take photos of the trees with permission and spend your time soaking up what makes the bonsai in Japan so great. Even photography at a bonsai garden without a backdrop is a challenge. You can call Fujikawa Kouka-en (kakejiku listed the contact info above) once in Japan via your hotel concierge. It's where I study, and easy to get to from Umeda Station. It's best to keep your visit down to a reasonable time, and to avoid directly preventing work to be accomplished : ). It's customary to buy something, even something small when visiting a bonsai garden, and also to bring some small gift to show appreciation. Average Japanese folks can't just show up to high end bonsai gardens to look around, but international visitors are not constrained by those cultural norms.

Importing from Japan legally on your own is not really worth it. It's worth the mark-up to buy from those who already have trees in-country if you have your heart set on Japanese imports. Your trees could be torched at the port for just about anything. I'm not going to go into the entire process, which I pursued, as it is infinitely frustrating and I'll get worked up. It will be far easier to get permits to transport trees from the USA back across (William N. Valavanis), or you could buy trees from David Easterbrook in Montreal. I know a few people in Toronto who sell their bonsai, so please PM me if you'd like to make contact.

You can however, buy just about anything small and alive from China (where many of our worst pathogens for plants have been imported from) with their fake phytosanitary process and more lax trade deal.

Makes absolutely no sense.

I ordered 100 fruit trees via Alibaba just to see what would happen, and two weeks later, I had 100 fruit trees from China. Wrong species and they were all grafted high. But, I was able to get non-quarantined trees that can carry a bunch of different diseases and pests affecting other genus. You cannot legally import large trees from China without apparently bribing the correct people; also cost prohibitive and could potentially unleash the next Sudden Oak Death, Boxwood Decline, Emerald Ash Borer, Camphor Shot Borer, etc.

@junmilo, I'm writing this for all who visit Japan, and hope this helps any others who plan to visit in hopes of legally buying bonsai in Japan.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What day and time do you plan to visit each location and I will send an email in Japanese. Also give me some ideas of what you would like to do?
Do you want to observe apprentices working, do you just want to take pictures of some of the trees? How long have you been doing bonsai, what is your collection like,
what is your job and the reason you are visiting Japan.

The more info I can give in the email the better opportunity for response.

Hi,

I heard from Bjorn via email. He told me what to do and train to take.

Thank you,

Jun

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would encourage you to take photos of the trees with permission and spend your time soaking up what makes the bonsai in Japan so great. Even photography at a bonsai garden without a backdrop is a challenge. You can call Fujikawa Kouka-en (kakejiku listed the contact info above) once in Japan via your hotel concierge. It's where I study, and easy to get to from Umeda Station. It's best to keep your visit down to a reasonable time, and to avoid directly preventing work to be accomplished : ). It's customary to buy something, even something small when visiting a bonsai garden, and also to bring some small gift to show appreciation. Average Japanese folks can't just show up to high end bonsai gardens to look around, but international visitors are not constrained by those cultural norms.

Importing from Japan legally on your own is not really worth it. It's worth the mark-up to buy from those who already have trees in-country if you have your heart set on Japanese imports. Your trees could be torched at the port for just about anything. I'm not going to go into the entire process, which I pursued, as it is infinitely frustrating and I'll get worked up. It will be far easier to get permits to transport trees from the USA back across (William N. Valavanis), or you could buy trees from David Easterbrook in Montreal. I know a few people in Toronto who sell their bonsai, so please PM me if you'd like to make contact.

You can however, buy just about anything small and alive from China (where many of our worst pathogens for plants have been imported from) with their fake phytosanitary process and more lax trade deal.

Makes absolutely no sense.

I ordered 100 fruit trees via Alibaba just to see what would happen, and two weeks later, I had 100 fruit trees from China. Wrong species and they were all grafted high. But, I was able to get non-quarantined trees that can carry a bunch of different diseases and pests affecting other genus. You cannot legally import large trees from China without apparently bribing the correct people; also cost prohibitive and could potentially unleash the next Sudden Oak Death, Boxwood Decline, Emerald Ash Borer, Camphor Shot Borer, etc.

@junmilo, I'm writing this for all who visit Japan, and hope this helps any others who plan to visit in hopes of legally buying bonsai in Japan.

Hi,

Thank you for the info, I will buy some Canadian stuff and bring it as a gift.

I work for an international airline in Canada, I'm going there to do some audits on some of our service providers.

Fruit trees eh? I was searching to import some Prunus spp and contacted CFIA, the girl on the phone said according to their database it is no. from what I read on CFIA site, if I want to import live rooted plants (they can not contain soil period).

Nothing make sense in the regulations these days. There is a by-law in my city that you can not own a "red Eared Slider turtle" as pet. But they allow all pet shops to sell "Red Ear Slider Turtles". lol

Sincerely,

Jun

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Better from the source anyway....While you are there in Osaka I recommend you try Takoyaki....as long as you like octopus.

I plan on taking the train to that famous street with all the restaurants near downtown. going to eat lots of sashimi, sushi and ramen.

Top Bottom