Osakazuki Forest. Is it time?

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have these 1o Osakazuki Japanese Maples, from cuttings four years ago.
I am thinking it is time to pot these.
In your opinions, are they ready to pot and how many would you pot.
image.jpeg image.jpegsorry ten. There are ten trees in this pot.

Last edited:

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here they are together, for size reference.image.jpeg

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would exclude the one to the far left in the first picture and work with a traditional "odd" number count. Just me...

Grimmy
It looks out of place beside the rest of them, doesn't it?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It looks out of place beside the rest of them, doesn't it?

Having chosen 9 of 10 myself I would grow that one separate given the choice. The other nine look ready for a few years of ramification work after pot/placing. They 9 all have slightly different features and size. The one I chose to take out as you said "looks out of place" but that is because it has not grown to look similar but different - it is just not proper in my eyes - could perhaps work into a Cliffside planting but not a flat one.

Placement of those 9 - Look at a lot of them online and here. It will make or break your design.

Grimmy

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I say go with seven. Choose the three largest and four smallest so that you can create the sense of perspective. Put the other three in the ground and let them thcken up for use as individual trees.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I say nine as well, I like my forests to look 'full'. Or else Its not really a forest, but a grouping.
I am thinking pushing for as many as the pot will fit, as long as it doesn't look stuffed. When I get to seven I will have to decide if two more will be ok. The pot seems the right size for nine.
When I cut these down a bit I will root cuttings from them again.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
As you probably know, you'll need to pull the whole thing apart and reassemble them using different spacing and such. Also make sure you let a couple develop more so than others to create a variety of trunk sizes and establish your number one tree, two, three etc.

I would plant them all at this early stage. You can always cut one down later or take it out. Personally, I think after about a grouping of seven or eight the eye does not pick up even numbers readily.

If you want a bigger forest, I would develop these further and not plant them in the tray now.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As you probably know, you'll need to pull the whole thing apart and reassemble them using different spacing and such. Also make sure you let a couple develop more so than others to create a variety of trunk sizes and establish your number one tree, two, three etc.

I would plant them all at this early stage. You can always cut one down later or take it out. Personally, I think after about a grouping of seven or eight the eye does not pick up even numbers readily.

If you want a bigger forest, I would develop these further and not plant them in the tray now.
I agree, definitely going to separate and rearrange. Also I will plant them at the height they are and cut them down accordingly, after they are in place.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about a rock feature? I have sooooooo many cool rocks. Should I think about adding one, or.... No?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Highly dependent on who you ask. I personally don't like rocks added to deciduous forest bonsai. I would say better would be to just plant your maples right on the rock. I'd like to do a few pieces myself with Japanese maples on rocks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 8.18.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 8.18.11 PM.png
    191.8 KB · Views: 102

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Highly dependent on who you ask. I personally don't like rocks added to deciduous forest bonsai. I would say better would be to just plant your maples right on the rock. I'd like to do a few pieces myself with Japanese maples on rocks.
I appreciate this, there is enough going on in a forest, no need for a rock.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I personally like to see more variety in caliper and height. To achieve this, I would pull apart the current grouping and pot each one separately. Then, pick three to let grow taller/fatter for a year or two, and two to keep really small. The others keep 'middle sized'. That way, you can work on the nebari of each tree for a while. In the long run, it will make for a better forest.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I personally like to see more variety in caliper and height. To achieve this, I would pull apart the current grouping and pot each one separately. Then, pick three to let grow taller/fatter for a year or two, and two to keep really small. The others keep 'middle sized'. That way, you can work on the nebari of each tree for a while. In the long run, it will make for a better forest.
Yes, they must be potted separately for at least a season before looked at to group together.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
image.jpeg My thought would be 7. Here's the 7 that I'd select. I also agree with the comment about varying the trunk thicknesses....letting an odd number, 3 in my thought, begin to grow out and develop thicker trunks.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Progress, it only took 45 minutes to get them apart.image.jpeg Messimage.jpeg After cutting the majority of long roots off they came apart fairly easy.image.jpegI am certain letting these guys grow in separate pots will make for WAAAAY better final placement in the forest pot.image.jpegI am thinking 7 will be the final number, nine is too busy.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love Osakazuki. Fantastic autumn colours. Walked through a big tree nursery last year during autumn, and between all the maples, osakazuki really stood out. Blood red all over the tree.
The leaves are big but they reduce well. I took this pic of a standard size leaf, ontop of partially reduced ones...
2014-11-17 19.09.12.jpg

Top Bottom