OT: In a modern day dogfight, how far can you visually see another fighter?

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
not talking about on radar. You're in the cock pit, you're following someone, and they hit the after burns. How far will you be able to see them? I need to settle a debate and this seemed like the appropriate place to do so. Thx.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
There is no single answer. First are you talking visually or electronically? Then it will depend on what you have covering your eyes and the type of canopy on your craft. And then there is the type, design and colors of the airplanes. The height above the surface will have an impact on the air density. The type of terrain the target plane has as a background will have an impact. And the contents of the sky with regard to density, smog, fog, smoke etc. and the type density and color of the clouds will also have an impact. Well I could go on but visual air to air, combat, is pretty much a thing of the past. The AWACS and more modern air control plans today have electronic awareness of the combat area and control the planes from miles away and the fighters are cleared to fire from miles away.

Or is your question about the WWII bombers and fighters? WWI combat pilots were for the most gentleman, but that is another story.

By the way I am retired USAF from the Tactical Air Command - was great stuff.

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There is no single answer. First are you talking visually or electronically? Then it will depend on what you have covering your eyes and the type of canopy on your craft. And then there is the type, design and colors of the airplanes. The height above the surface will have an impact on the air density. The type of terrain the target plane has as a background will have an impact. And the contents of the sky with regard to density, smog, fog, smoke etc. and the type density and color of the clouds will also have an impact. Well I could go on but visual air to air, combat, is pretty much a thing of the past. The AWACS and more modern air control plans today have electronic awareness of the combat area and control the planes from miles away and the fighters are cleared to fire from miles away.

Or is your question about the WWII bombers and fighters? WWI combat pilots were for the most gentleman, but that is another story.

By the way I am retired USAF from the Tactical Air Command - was great stuff.

Thank you for your service! As for the response....I'm talking about 2 F-15's on a clear day.....30,000 ft. If one is cruising at 500 nautical nauts and the other hits the after burns, how far will you be able to see the one with the after burns?

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you for your service! As for the response....I'm talking about 2 F-15's on a clear day.....30,000 ft. If one is cruising at 500 nautical nauts and the other hits the after burns, how far will you be able to see the one with the after burns?

I forgot to add....they start at the same spot. I understand that this is an extinct practice. I'm just trying to put an end to an argument. Again, thanks for your help!!

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't get it.

Well I didn't at first neither.

May be the fact that I'm French and not English speaker originally, know both 'cock' and 'pit' words but in other acceptations while 'cockpit' as always been a single word to me, and also the fact that I failed to make the link between, 'dogfight', 'cock', 'pit' and bonsai...

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is exactly why I posted it here. It's called general discussion.
Oh, I didn't realize this thread was "GENERAL BONSAI DISCUSSION" as stated in the description line of this particular section. The "Tea House" is explicitly for off topic discussion, which you acknowledged this was in your thread title. Don't be a troll.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's say, I don't know, Mr. Magoo is one of the pilots. And the other pilot is a cardboard cut-out of Marilyn Monroe.

Either one is gettin' a Sidewinder up the exhaust!! Dog fight done!!!

:confused:

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oh, I didn't realize this thread was "GENERAL BONSAI DISCUSSION" as stated in the description line of this particular section. The "Tea House" is explicitly for off topic discussion, which you acknowledged this was in your thread title. Don't be a troll.

I'm not trolling, I'm just trying to get an honest answer to this question. I think you can see about 3.5 nautical miles. When flying. The other guy is stating you could see a fighter jet, from behind, up to 20 miles away. I need some answers here peepor.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4 miles
And I just saw on Jeopardy that Godzilla is an honorary citizen of Japan since 2015.
It's about time! Been going there for Tokyo vacations since 1959.
Eats fighter jets for snacks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom