Other Considerations

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw a thread topic yesterday about being careful about hot water coming from your hose during the summer. Good reminder! You also may want to consider the heat on your bonsai pots.
1st pic...pot on the shelf.
20180620_124651.jpg

2nd pic...pot on the bench.
20180620_124725.jpg

The corner of the pot in the second pic was in direct sunlight. Still pretty hot. Black plastic nursery pot about 125 f.
Just FYI

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well Az after frightening me. you made me realise why our
climate allows for even growth.
max 93 deg,F for a max of 30 minutes and 70 deg.F for about
10 hrs by night.

So plants keep growing well, and then there is the cloudy day,
and rain for about 6 months, with not too many days of torrential
rain.

If you see me offering no advice on many trees to you.
I can't.
But I can leave a like.
Always admire your attention to details.
Good Day
Anthony

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have one of those for my snake...to check the cage temps. Cool...that your using it for bonsai purposes. Did you buy it for that...or just had it and had a light bulb moment?
Sorry for a thread hijacking....but what type of snake do you have....and how old and big????
I've always been an animal lover, snakes are no exception, in fact I go out of my way to wrangle wild snakes...
It's so much fun wrangling wild snakes...usually once they feel my body heat, they calm down and get docile...

One time I had a 6 foot black snake in the front yard for 3 days straight ....
He was sunning in my blacklace elderberry tree, and I'd come home from work and see him in the tree, gently remove him from the tree and play with him a bit in the grass...
Neighbors looked at me like I was crazy...and they assumed it was my pet, until they asked...

I've caught many, many wild snakes and got a close look, and have never been bitten...
The only time I got bitten by a snake, I was 10 years old and at a new friends house for the first time... His parents had a very large red tailed boa living in the basement, 15 feet to be exact....I reached towards its head too quickly, at a time when it was hungry enough to strike...
And it took my whole hand into its mouth... Gave me small wounds around my wrist...but no worries....even at that young age, I understood what happened...
Steve Irwin was a major influence on me as a child...
I loved that guy....

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Az, when you use the shade cloth, at what % and the air temperature ?

Have you ever checked the lumens/candles - camera metre ?
Best of Growing
Anthony

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
when you use the shade cloth, at what % and the air temperature ?
Right now I am using just a lattice cover. I had used a 70% cover last year but was not happy with results. I feel like I had more issues with fungus and my plants did not receive enough light to be healthy. I went with the lattice at 105f. I have been happy with results so far. My cape honeysuckle is getting a bit laggy so I may have to move it to get more sun.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry for a thread hijacking....but what type of snake do you have....and how old and big????
I've always been an animal lover, snakes are no exception, in fact I go out of my way to wrangle wild snakes...
It's so much fun wrangling wild snakes...usually once they feel my body heat, they calm down and get docile...

One time I had a 6 foot black snake in the front yard for 3 days straight ....
He was sunning in my blacklace elderberry tree, and I'd come home from work and see him in the tree, gently remove him from the tree and play with him a bit in the grass...
Neighbors looked at me like I was crazy...and they assumed it was my pet, until they asked...

I've caught many, many wild snakes and got a close look, and have never been bitten...
The only time I got bitten by a snake, I was 10 years old and at a new friends house for the first time... His parents had a very large red tailed boa living in the basement, 15 feet to be exact....I reached towards its head too quickly, at a time when it was hungry enough to strike...
And it took my whole hand into its mouth... Gave me small wounds around my wrist...but no worries....even at that young age, I understood what happened...
Steve Irwin was a major influence on me as a child...
I loved that guy....
image.jpg

Pastel Ball Python, got him 9 1/2 years back from a breeder in PA. He came with the egg he hatched from and one thawed pinkie in him. Never has been fed live. There are benefits to feeding thawed. (Frozen kills any parasite the prey may have carried. Which having smaller children at the time I found important.) Took him forever to switch to rats...now that he has he sheds constantly. He's got to be pushing 5 ft now. On a warm day...we let him go exploring which he loves.

I actually over came a fear of snakes when I got him...to help me grow with him in his mere size concurring my fear. Has helped a lot. So glad I did...we later did a flagstone back patio which native snakes love sun bathing on. Me and my cup of coffee have no issues sharing the space. Had I not over came my fear...I most likely would not find peace on the back patio as I do.

How tiny he was when he came to us.?
image.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me about having to clean my snakes enclosure.
I have a Elaphe schrenckii (but the name has changed) which I got as a gift.
I let my american bull snake have its dormancy at a friends place, to produce offspring in spring. But the guy cranked up the heat by accident and didn't check on them enough. 30+ reptiles died, his entire collection was gone, except for a couple of elaphe.
She/he has been my mate ever since.
Fun fact: snakes lack the enzymes to break down pyrethrin, so using 'safe for animals' bug sprays containing pyrethrins makes them have seizures.

Back on topic: AZbonsai, have you checked how hot pots get when there's soil in them? Evaporation can cool stuff a lot. I'm interested to see if there's a lot of difference.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20180627_162229.jpg

Hosed down the burlap on benches.

20180627_163316.jpg

A short respite. Hot out there today!

Les Lonsdale

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
View attachment 197816

Pastel Ball Python, got him 9 1/2 years back from a breeder in PA. He came with the egg he hatched from and one thawed pinkie in him. Never has been fed live. There are benefits to feeding thawed. (Frozen kills any parasite the prey may have carried. Which having smaller children at the time I found important.) Took him forever to switch to rats...now that he has he sheds constantly. He's got to be pushing 5 ft now. On a warm day...we let him go exploring which he loves.

I actually over came a fear of snakes when I got him...to help me grow with him in his mere size concurring my fear. Has helped a lot. So glad I did...we later did a flagstone back patio which native snakes love sun bathing on. Me and my cup of coffee have no issues sharing the space. Had I not over came my fear...I most likely would not find peace on the back patio as I do.

How tiny he was when he came to us.?
View attachment 197817
034.JPG045.JPGJust had to post some pics of my 9ft boa and 15 ft Reticulated python. Sorry about being 'off topic'.

Top Bottom