Other Elms in Zone 5 Illinois?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Are there any other people trying out Other Elms ie; Siberian and such in my zone?

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got a Yatsubusa, only had it for two (second winter)in the ground. Seems to be doing alright though. I dont have any personal experience with Seiju variety but heard from one person they have a problem with die back in our area.... Also heard its a waste of time to try any Hokkaido's from multiple sources.

Last edited:

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I have found Siberians to be disappointing due to die back and branch dropping issues. I don't do them anymore.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Give the winged elm, Ulmus alata, a try.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I'm growing siberians in the cold north from material collected from a 50-60 year old hedge 2 years ago. I've heard (and seen) that they are heart breakers once they reach maturity, just as Crust said... but I can't bring myself to get rid of these trunks.

On the other hand, I've heard several people (online) say they are a stable species, but I think that their trees have not reached bonsai maturity yet, or they are just young material. It might be possible to avoid dieback if they are kept in a vigorous state of growth, but that is counterproductive to producing fine ramification on deciduous bonsai.

Sucks, but we'll see. Not getting attached in the meantime.

If you still want to try, look for hedges with stuff like this. If the owners know what's good for them, they will be happy to have an insane bonsai person come and rip out these invasive weeds.

wMfi8.jpg

STn1E.jpg

GHDWb.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Fantastic bark. Hope it works out for you. I grew Siberian elms when I lived in Iowa, and my buddy up there still does. In nearly 20 years, neither of us had a problem with them dropping branches. I always kept as much of the swirling taproot as I could when repotting, maybe that helps...?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With these fantastic trunks, and elms bullet proof personna, why not graft chinese elm on the the trunks? It seems there must be a way to get past this. Ulmas alata is good also, I agree, but the branch issue can spark up on those also.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
With these fantastic trunks, and elms bullet proof personna, why not graft chinese elm on the the trunks? It seems there must be a way to get past this. Ulmas alata is good also, I agree, but the branch issue can spark up on those also.

I've thought about this myself... It would have to be a rough bark variety to make some kind of decent match over time. But... there is no guarantee that the new branches would solve the problem. We'll see... I agree though... theres gotta be some way around this... or at least I hope there is.

Fantastic bark. Hope it works out for you. I grew Siberian elms when I lived in Iowa, and my buddy up there still does. In nearly 20 years, neither of us had a problem with them dropping branches. I always kept as much of the swirling taproot as I could when repotting, maybe that helps...?

Not the first time I've heard of people having success with pumila. But still, I've never seen a very ramified, old ulmus pumila bonsai. The swirling taproot tip is interesting and definitely not common sense. Thanks. Do you have any other tips or pictures of these trees?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I grow American Elms in Michigan. Our climate is nearly the same - but I think I might be a tad colder for a bit longer.

Top Bottom