Other hobbies you have enjoyed are still enjoying now.......

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
My whole life I've enjoyed having hobbies, some I know longer do because of age. I loved all of these at one time of another, the problem is I can't just do something halfway, it's all or nothing.
Golf, tennis, restoring antique cars, building street rods, restoring Schwinn bicycles and Whizzer motor bikes, Cushman motor scooters and Mustang motor bikes, all toys from my young teen years in the 50's, Since I know longer do bonsai, I replaced it with collecting military weapons from WWI and WWII, for once in the 15 years of so, something that doesn't die on me...:) If anyone is interested, I have pictures from some of the hobbies I've listed here. Lets here from you and you experiences.

Harry

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nazi memorabilia is apparently littered with fakes,Hitlers Wig or somesuch,not a traditional weapon.

Good luck with your hobby.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn Harry, you've kept yourself busy all these years. I'd love to see some of your rides (2 and 4 wheel)
My younger sister has the motorcycle/muscle bicycle disease. She owns is a Sears Puch, 65 Honda 160 and 1974 Suzuki 185 plus a garage of 60's bicycles.
You might enjoy this link to The New England Muscle Bike Museum that a good friend of hers owns CLICK

Last winter the wife and I started going to auctions and have had a great time traveling around to new places and getting some pretty cool things along the way. A couple of years ago I was at a tag sale and saw this old sprinkler for a dollar and bought it. Being a woodworker, I do own a few old unique woodworking tools but never considered my self a collector of old tools. But over time at tag sales and auctions If I see a cool old sprinkler I'll bring it home.
I can't put my finger on exactly why they appeal to me so much. I guess it's just the combination of many different forms to do the same thing, good ol' USA craftsmanship and they are usually pretty cheap (although I did find out at one auction there are more people like me out there)
Here's a few of them
sprinklers.jpg
The one with the green head is one of my favorites design wise, the red one is called the squarespray and as it says on the other side "It gets the corners"

BTW I have a German WWII bayonet kicking around here somewhere which is in pretty good shape. I have no need for it and if you would like it, I be willing to send to a good home.
just drop me a pm

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
I always like collecting old books. The oldest I have is from 1643.

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the fall I enjoy mushroom hunting. This year our Spring was wet, our Summer hot and humid, and the Autumn was fairly wet. There were more varieties of mushrooms than I have seen in a long time. So far I've found Hen of the Woods (locally known as Sheepheads), Parasol Mushrooms, Shaggy Manes, Honey Fungus, Giant Puffballs, and Chicken Mushrooms. These are the edibles. There were others I found that are too hard to distinguish from being enjoyable to eat and being dead.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
john that sounds amazing -is it written in old english?? my mother had an original dickens but the fishmoths gave it stick...what book is it by the way??

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well for me it's always something new also, just so long as I don't let it get in the way of bonsai. Photography is an offshoot of my trees. I enjoyed taking pics of them so much that I decided to try other things to shoot mainly birds. But with that came the obsession for newer and better cameras and lenses. So now I have probably more tied up in cameras and lenses than I do in trees, and photography pretty much competes for my time along with the trees. If anyone's interested, here's my website for some of my photos.

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/45373570@N04

My most recent hobby though is something I've been interested ever since I was a kid and that's the American Civil War. I just recently started collecting relics form that war. E-Bay is one place that you have to be very careful of because of the fakes. I can't believe how good they make some of them look. Because of that I deal mainly with private collectors and those who have a reputation for selling the real deal. Here's a few pics of what I purchased recently. An 1865 photo engraving of President Lincoln, a Federal Eagle Infantry button, and a powder flask that was part of a private museum in Gettysburg.

Attachments

• A Lincoln.jpg
    A Lincoln.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Federal Eagle Button2.jpg
    Federal Eagle Button2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 9
  • f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 6

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
john that sounds amazing -is it written in old english?? my mother had an original dickens but the fishmoths gave it stick...what book is it by the way??

It's an old sermon written by a minister named Matthew Newcomen in England. It's 44 pages long (real fun) based on the Old Testament prophet Nehemiah. It's not written in Old English, yet these things can be a little difficult to follow at times due to the differences in word use and meaning as well as some sentences go on for a entire page.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Well for me it's always something new also, just so long as I don't let it get in the way of bonsai. Photography is an offshoot of my trees. I enjoyed taking pics of them so much that I decided to try other things to shoot mainly birds. But with that came the obsession for newer and better cameras and lenses. So now I have probably more tied up in cameras and lenses than I do in trees, and photography pretty much competes for my time along with the trees. If anyone's interested, here's my website for some of my photos.

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/45373570@N04

My most recent hobby though is something I've been interested ever since I was a kid and that's the American Civil War. I just recently started collecting relics form that war. E-Bay is one place that you have to be very careful of because of the fakes. I can't believe how good they make some of them look. Because of that I deal mainly with private collectors and those who have a reputation for selling the real deal. Here's a few pics of what I purchased recently. An 1865 photo engraving of President Lincoln, a Federal Eagle Infantry button, and a powder flask that was part of a private museum in Gettysburg.

One more thing we have in common, an interest in the Civil War. My wife and I belong to a Civl War roundtable that meets once a month at a local restaurant. We like to travel to different battlefields, to many to list. Been to Gettysburg four times and would like to go again We both love Richmond and the Confederate museum along with the Confederate white house. Your pictures are great and so is your collection.

Harry

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I always like collecting old books. The oldest I have is from 1643.

Me too!! But it's all in Latin... :p lol Coolest english print book I have is a 1843 copy of Emma... but I have to get the book cover rebuilt... the textblock is in amazing condition.

V

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Harry,
I remember having a Robbie the Robot. Wow, that was a LOOOOOONG time ago.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Harry,
I remember having a Robbie the Robot. Wow, that was a LOOOOOONG time ago.

I've seen them on the Antique's Roadshow, you should have kept it........:)

Harry

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just like my baseball cards, my mother threw them out because they were just junk. I'll bet that's the first time you heard that!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My two major hobbies, both of which I was introduced to as a child, are Fishing and Bonsai, in the last 26 years I have also been messing with photography.

ed

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Me too!! But it's all in Latin... :p lol Coolest english print book I have is a 1843 copy of Emma... but I have to get the book cover rebuilt... the textblock is in amazing condition.

V

Finding a master bookbinder is really tough nowadays; it seems like a dying art. I have a 4 val. set that i would love to have rebound, but the closest person skilled enough to do that type of work is now in Tenn. and the costs?? OH the pain..................

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
dragon.jpg

I'm not sure anyone will even know what this is :)

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Is that Puff...... ?

Harry

Top Bottom