Our club at a plant fair

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Every year there's plant fair at a big park at the outskirts of the city, and each year, we display some of our bonsai there.

This year, the day started under a grey sky, it began to rain at 10:30. Went back home at 12, now it's cloudy with patches of sunny sky, and 20° C ! (60F !!!) and I'll go there again tomorrow afternoon, I'll probably take more photos then.

Here are a couple of pictures before it was opened to the public, 9-9:30:

ParcFloral18001.jpg

ParcFloral18002.jpg

ParcFloral18004.jpg

ParcFloral18005.jpg

ParcFloral18006.jpg

ParcFloral18007.jpg

ParcFloral18008.jpg

As you can see, we have some "young" members too (thirty-ish), and they are really involved into the club's life, a good omen for the future...

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I like the thought of having such a presence at a larger community fair. My memories of Orléans are decades old now, but I would think it's a lovely place to be at this time of year. Keep this kind of presence in the community and you should find more potential members stopping by to see such lovely trees!

Lottie

Sapling
Reaction score
Those trees are truly amazing, so o beautiful, wish I could see some like that ?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
wish I could see some like that

Come to mainland Europe for your next holidays!

:cool:

Joking apart, there are great trees, bonsai, exhibitions in the UK. I don't know where you live exactly, but check these for instance:

https://expobonsaiuk.weebly.com/
https://swindon-bonsai.co.uk/

And there are many other exhibits or clubs where you live: meeting bonsai enthusiasts in "real life" is the best way to progress.

Lottie

Sapling
Reaction score
Come to mainland Europe for your next holidays!

:cool:

Joking apart, there are great trees, bonsai, exhibitions in the UK. I don't know where you live exactly, but check these for instance:

https://expobonsaiuk.weebly.com/
https://swindon-bonsai.co.uk/

And there are many other exhibits or clubs where you live: meeting bonsai enthusiasts in "real life" is the best way to progress.
Ah cool, Thanks for the info!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here we are again... :rolleyes:

Half of the trees we displayed last year are the same : we want to show our best, and it's not that easy to renew the display. So I brought my small semi-cascade mugo pine and a very small larch.

But this European larch was a novelty, and though it still needs refining, it's going to be a great tree in my opinion :

IMG_1116-a.jpg

IMG_1117-b.jpg

My, er... small larch, lost between giants, and planted on the left side of the pot though it should be on the right, but it was too late to repot it :

IMG_1111-a.jpg

Another view when we were installing the trees :

Attachments

• IMG_1125-a.jpg
    IMG_1125-a.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have exhibited at an Art Fair for 12 years. The lady running it came to an annual bonsai show our club puts on and asked if we would exhibit at her Art Fair. Some people joined me for the first few years, but it's Labor Day and it's hard to find volunteers, so it's just me now. The space is free because it's a popular display. The other exhibitors are typical arts & crafts and they all sell stuff. I rarely sell trees and they would like me to sell more. I have hand outs for two clubs and another bonsai show. I have done other Art Fairs, where there also was no charge for space because the public likes to see bonsai and the sellers like to draw as many eyeballs as possible.

This should be done by other bonsaiists, too. I spend the whole day answering questions from people who just love the little trees. All day long the people tell me how wonderful the trees are. By the end of the day my ego is blown up so big I have trouble getting my head into my car. There are Art Fairs all summer long and more people should do this to promote their clubs. Again, they'll let you have a display set up for free!

D

Deleted member 21616

@AlainK we've discussed about it before, i really love that deshojo! did you happen to snap a picture of the name tag? (or can your original photo be zoomed in enough to see it?) would love to know it's age and story!

do you have a head-on picture of the shishigashira(?) in the centre-left of the first picture?

lovely trees all of them!

merci d'avoir partagé avec nous! :)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I ran out of battery and couldn't take many photos, and this one was not on display this year.

For the Deshojo, my friend has had it for 25 years and it was already basically shaped when she bought it.

Top Bottom