Our most loyal members...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You remember this tree? I dug it in 2005 and posted it on BonsaiTALK. It got killed by a person helping me in the backyard. I was repotting cause I needed help lifting it. It weighed a ton, like 200 pounds. I had been cleaning windows and I had a spray bottle filled with ammonia and vinegar. I had to go to the bathroom and I asked him to spray it down to keep the roots moist. guess which bottle he used. When I came out I saw what had been done and we tried to wash the thing but I think the ammonia just killed stuff on contact. I potted it and hoped for the best and it was brown in about four days. This was a common myrtle and I took the stump as a cutting. No roots at all and it grew so hard it was crazy. never get ammonia around your roots it will kill a tree fast.

View attachment 195878
View attachment 195875
View attachment 195877
View attachment 195876
Wow!
....Head in hands....

That's horrible Al!
And that line about the servers was hilarious!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is in 2008 when I cut off the hideous roots from the tree. I had begun tying in my trees in shallow pots with no soil under them in 2007 as an experiment to using a saucer in a growbox. I like what it produced and have been using that method ever since. Another Keppler First with the use of humic acid at this time.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 31

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
014.JPG015.JPG

017.JPG

Repot into new pot in 2017
DSC_00011.JPG

Happy times here in this shot. My wife was still doing well and my tree looked great. In 14 days I would have the Keppler Kalimity and the sprinklers would shut down and nearly kill the whole collection.
DSC_00032.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Needs a haircut. OK everyone. This tree is hardened off. Do I get a pass now?

DSC_00035.JPG

Trimmed. the big scar near the base used to be the soil line. Interesting how much the trunk has grown in a container.
DSC_00111.JPG

And some spread and flare
DSC_0006.JPG

One of the healed roots and the large one is still closing. couple more years should do it. About 1/4 inch a year.
DSC_0007.JPGDSC_0008.JPG

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a beautiful tree. Very impressive with and without leaves. That knot hole is great.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple more trees but I am getting ready to go to my girlfriends house for the weekend. Will post them next week.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One other thing before I unroll the magic carpet.... This tree will get a massive prune back in the fall. It is way too large for the pot and the canopy is becoming odd shaped. I like the shape its just out of proportion for the whole look.

It will be interesting how I do it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks!
My wife won't be very excited though, that we share that date...
"Are you on that stupid tree forum again!?"
Thanks!
My wife won't be very excited though, that we share that date...
"Are you on that stupid tree forum again!?"
Ask her; which do you prefer, stupid trees or naked girls?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Patience and vision.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I joined in March 2008 and just barely hit 500 posts. So I'm not one of the heavy hitters here but I've been around a long time. I've seen quite a few people come and go.

I've attended a total of one Bonsai class, visited two bonsai gardens(Ben's House of Bonsai in SLC around 2003/ 2004 and Elendan Gardens about 2010) maybe 4 club meetings, zero shows in my lifetime so pretty much my entire bonsai education has come from online forums and a few library books over the years. I was on bonsaiTALK a little before coming here but I'd say if you count by the number of hours spent, its at least 99.85% Bonsainut, woo hoo! I'm a major lurker.. My wife feels like I spend more time here than with her! (Shhh... it's probably true..;)..)

I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed and continues to add to the immeasurable wealth of knowledge on this site. Thank you @bonsainut for starting it all, keeping it going, improving, upgrading, fixing, maintaining, everything.

Top Bottom