Out of Dormancy early?

Scooter9166 - 5a

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@sorce - thanks for the new vocab...rookiely calculated does sound better, and I did learn. The cotoneaster was my fave current subject, partly because it was so healthy in the fall. And, after looking at the roots, I wonder if the bigger mistake was a poor repotting.

I believe you are correct about the "lake effect". I work much closer to the lake than I live, and it's like commuting to a different climate sometimes.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the stuff that is still outside and dormant.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will be interesting to see what happens with the stuff that is still outside and dormant

I predict they will be the ones you fall in love with and even if they don't prove what you really want, or of you kill them....

The species will become your faves....

Since they are not Bitch ass!

All you need is One Pine. Mugo.
Spruce. Black hills
Juniper. Blue rug
Flowering. Question
D. Questioning likely elm.
Braodlead evergreen. Boxwood.

To create any possible bonsai Image their is.

Sorce

Random User

Reaction score
How is having only 6 trees ever going to keep you broke, your back yard totally cluttered with "test subjects", not to mention carts, benches, pots, wire, and garden hoses, and running around in a maniacal panic during re-potting season... sheesh... what are you thinking man!...

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have some Larch whips that spent a week boxed up at the post office,I used the wrong address by mistake...so they leafed out,yellow leaves at that.Going to have some 25 degree nights during the next week before I can put them outside during the day,so best I can do is a week indoors in front of living room window:eek:
I imagine they will green up with some daylight by the window.
Oh well,something to look at by the lazy boy recliner.
646C1884-08F5-4249-8E43-6BFB1B505BEC.jpeg4C559259-FD0D-499D-8978-0C75202BCA77.jpeg

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cmeg1, do you think Larix laricina (assuming that is the species pictured above) is marginal here in SE PA due to the hot summers? I am reading these are rated for USDA zones 2-5, so I am thinking 7a might be pushing it a bit (?).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How is having only 6 trees e

Lol! Hell no!

Those are just the species I've found that take Hell here!
One pine species....
One flowering species...
Etc....

For the love of god please understand we acquire as many as we can fit, water, and not get killed for!

Billions!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cmeg1, do you think Larix laricina (assuming that is the species pictured above) is marginal here in SE PA due to the hot summers? I am reading these are rated for USDA zones 2-5, so I am thinking 7a might be pushing it a bit (?).
Japanese larch and even North American larch are very marginal here in N. Va. I had a pretty nice Japanese larch a few years ago. It didn't die immediately. Faded out over a period of five years or so. I have a feeling it was our hot summers, with high nighttime temps, that ground it down.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am going to give it a shot.After they get a good rootball they will go in the ground,probably Autumn.
These are Japanese larch and there are quite a few larch in the landscape in my town.Found the info on the internet too,so we will see.
Sais zone 4-7

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d882

A697764F-EEB4-436E-85EA-5B0B2934D89E.png

Last edited:

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am going to give it a shot.After they get a good rootball they will go in the ground,probably Autumn.
These are Japanese larch and there are quite a few larch in the landscape in my town.Found the info on the internet too,so we will see.
Sais zone 4-7

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d882

View attachment 182444
Thanks for posting that. I'm just below you down in MD and I just picked up my first pair of Larch (Japanese). I know I'll have to watch them come the full summer heat).

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sais zone 4-7

View attachment 182444
I see Japanese larch aren't in Michigan.
You know Why?
Tamaracks eat them for breakfast.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol
They’re an awesome tree,the Tamaracks!
I wonder which has the shorter needles?
Japanese larch or American larch?
They're both awesome trees.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have some Larch whips that spent a week boxed up at the post office,I used the wrong address by mistake...so they leafed out,yellow leaves at that.Going to have some 25 degree nights during the next week before I can put them outside during the day,so best I can do is a week indoors in front of living room window:eek:
I imagine they will green up with some daylight by the window.
Oh well,something to look at by the lazy boy recliner.
View attachment 182250View attachment 182251

What was your source for these? I have an urge to do a larch forest. Thanks

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lol! Hell no!

Those are just the species I've found that take Hell here!
One pine species....
One flowering species...
Etc....

For the love of god please understand we acquire as many as we can fit, water, and not get killed for!

Billions!

Sorce
Heh.

My wife once asked me how many trees I planned on getting. Apparently, she didn't think I was serious when I answered, "All of them."

Top Bottom