Out of town, potential frost help!

Glorfindel

Seedling
Reaction score
Recently purchased little (2 foot) Dawn Redwood in zone 6a. Still in nursey pot.
I left town for a few days and had watering set up, but the forecast changed and now the next few nights are supposed to get down to 28-30 degree F. There are a lot of buds on the tree currently. If I was home, I would shelter at night and back out during the day. But, I don't necessarily want to request that additional work. Would it be ok since it isn't severely cold? Would it be ok sheltered out of the sun for a 3 nights/2 days?

Thanks for the help!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Where did they originate from prior to purchase? Acclimating a tree from another climate that is warmer from us...I would be concerned enough to ask one to do the shuffle.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sheltering it out of the sun...would be no different than putting it in a box and shipping it to a person. Think of it that way. I might do that...if you can't shuffle for the two step.

Glorfindel

Seedling
Reaction score
Where did they originate from prior to purchase? Acclimating a tree from another climate that is warmer from us...I would be concerned enough to ask one to do the shuffle.
Got it about 15 miles away. When I picked it up, it was in green house that day with a the others due to concerns for frost.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It should never have been in a greenhouse. I am in zone 6A and mine are all quite dormant still.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't worry about it.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Glorfindel

Seedling
Reaction score
It should never have been in a greenhouse. I am in zone 6A and mine are all quite dormant still.
We have had a really nice last 3 weeks. 3 cold days then back to the 60s

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well that does make a difference. Is it fully leafed out?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are a lot of buds on the tree currently.
It is spring. Trees get frozen in spring when budding out.
If you are talking light frost, do not worry.

I have incidentally put a few trees in the shed last night. We are dipping to 22F coming night, last night we went down to 27F and many of my trees are with one pair of leaves out of the buds. That is a stage were colder than 28 becomes tricky. Anything 28-32 is normally no problem for climate-local species.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was told Oregon.
I have a small Dawn Redwood here in Portland, Oregon in a 5 gallon grow bag that made it through low 20s. A couple of the buds had started opening already and the soil froze. All the buds are pushing now and doing fine, even through a night or two at 28 after it really started waking up. It did lose the ends of a couple fine twigs, but no real damage.

It's never been in a greenhouse, but it was grown from seed here in the area. Just get it on the ground and I suspect the radiant heat will be enough. Push it up next to the house and out of wind if you're concerned. I've offered no protection to any of my trees except for the couple nights we had in the low 20s. They've been through a number of nights at 28 degrees. Almost all of them are on the ground.

Just something to consider as you make your decision.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No leaves, just buds that look about ready to open.
I still fall back on precious care offered upon purchase as a guide. What did you end up doing? Acclimation is key, it sounds as if the nursery you purchased it from understands acclimating from one climate to another safetly. Why take precautions...if none is needed? They were not willing to take a loss.

My local nursery only buys from local Ohio growers . I tend to buy there for my landscape. Things tend to wake up come spring. I've had small minor losses when buying from another nursery...and we have a hard winter.

Glorfindel

Seedling
Reaction score
I still fall back on precious care offered upon purchase as a guide. What did you end up doing? Acclimation is key, it sounds as if the nursery you purchased it from understands acclimating from one climate to another safetly. Why take precautions...if none is needed? They were not willing to take a loss.

My local nursery only buys from local Ohio growers . I tend to buy there for my landscape. Things tend to wake up come spring. I've had small minor losses when buying from another nursery...and we have a hard winter.
placed next to the house and covered at night. seems to have turned out just fine.

Top Bottom