Outdoor bench or stand

AlissaMoo

Seedling
Reaction score
I am not able to build a bench or stand for my bonsai. I see a lot of beautiful stands on various sites for indoor use. Are there any recommended online vendors to buy premade stands that will weather the outdoors? I'm fine if it comes in pieces and I just need to screw together.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

(1) Where do you live? Different weather requires different materials.
(2) What aesthetic are you going for? Natural / formal / informal?
(3) What size do you need? Are you talking about a shelf for a small number of plants, or a bench for 100+?

AlissaMoo

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in the Philadelphia suburbs and am looking for something natural and simple. I'm new to bonsai so only 2 at this time. I don't need something super tall, I think for these two iwant something fairly low to the ground for where they're going to be placed. But I plan to get more and for those may want a taller monkey pole type.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Greetings to you, Alyssa!

I'm rebuilding my prebonsai collection after a house fire. I have only a few trees so I'm using big box store metal plant stands that are about 24 inches tall as temporary stands until I can make something better. I had the stands in the basement so it was a no-brainer. It works for now. I've even used plastic "milk crates" in a pinch, LOL.

Look around on the site, there's lots of fun stuff. I wish you much happiness in your bonsai journey

Reaction score
You couldn't do something similar with a board and a couple cinder blocks, flagstones, etc etc. super simple but can look really nice.

Those 9 gallon buckets work too I guess. =p

Reaction score
They're 5 but who's quibbling.
And they're free. Large machines tend to spring hydraulic leaks.
I realized that before I feel asleep last night. I came back to the thread to edit my post. Too slow. I use a bunch of these as well. Local distilleries/breweries get tired of them and I get them for cheapo.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Greetings to you, Alyssa!

I'm rebuilding my prebonsai collection after a house fire. I have only a few trees so I'm using big box store metal plant stands that are about 24 inches tall as temporary stands until I can make something better. I had the stands in the basement so it was a no-brainer. It works for now. I've even used plastic "milk crates" in a pinch, LOL.

Look around on the site, there's lots of fun stuff. I wish you much happiness in your bonsai journey
I’m also using the 24 inch 3-shelf metal racks. I got them at Home Depot. They work pretty well, but one thing I have found is that when you assemble them, you’re really better off either setting the 3rd shelf really low (just provides a bit of structural stability) or not using it at all because, unless you have a bunch of little mame trees, a typical shohin or pre-bonsai in development is a bit too tall to fit comfortably if you use all 3 shelves.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Perhaps best for your objectives:
Cinder blocks from a Lowe’s or Home Depot or similar store. You don’t sound like you need much shelf length to start so 6 blocks should be fine. Three blocks each side stacked.
Outdoor treated lumber like 2 x 10 x The length you want. Home Depot can cut the 2x10 for you so no saw is needed. I’d suggest, for your needs mentioned, an 8’ length cut in half. Makes a 4’ x 20” shelf.
Don’t set your tree bench to low to the ground. A higher...appreciation viewing height...is better. Perhaps start at least 3 cinder blocks tall....and that’s not to high really...probably only just over 25” high which includes the 2x board.
When or if you get more trees you easily add to this type of shelving.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wood on cinder, simple but functional, can be finished anyway you like -

IMG_0535.JPG

Grimmy

Top Bottom