Outrageous clump

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I like the drawing. I'll definitely consider that. If I do that, I could probably make a smaller clump style with the remaining half of the rootball. Thanks!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the drawing. I'll definitely consider that. If I do that, I could probably make a smaller clump style with the remaining half of the rootball. Thanks!
Absolutely…use all parts of the buffalo!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think the reason you have been having difficulty figuring out what to do with it is because you have some major reduction to do. You have strong and interesting pieces on the left and a million tiny seedlings on the right.

I agree with @Forsoothe! the left is strong and interesting where the right doesn’t have much going for it. Next repotting I would saw the extra rootball off, change the angle dramatically to the right and put it in a much smaller training container. This is very rough, but what I am seeing from the pictures provided.
I sort of took your advice and cut the unwanted parts off. They really weren't much......mostly just small, single trunks on knobby, broken trunklets (??).

Not exactly what your picture depicted, but the picture definitely gave me inspiration. Here it is in one of my homemade concrete pots.

unnamed - 2022-03-03T133030.203.jpg

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I sort of took your advice and cut the unwanted parts off. They really weren't much......mostly just small, single trunks on knobby, broken trunklets (??).

Not exactly what your picture depicted, but the picture definitely gave me inspiration. Here it is in one of my homemade concrete pots.

View attachment 422521
You don’t have to follow everything you read on the internet, lol! Great move for sure!!!

Let that thing rock out and see where it goes from here.

Last edited:

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Update on this beast. It leafed out and I've fertilized it twice already. I pruned some redundant shoots and shoots I definitely don't want to keep. Other than massaging the branches down a bit, I've just been letting it grow. I've actually eaten a couple of ripe mulberries off of it.

unnamed (57).jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Update on this beast. It leafed out and I've fertilized it twice already. I pruned some redundant shoots and shoots I definitely don't want to keep. Other than massaging the branches down a bit, I've just been letting it grow. I've actually eaten a couple of ripe mulberries off of it.

View attachment 432480
Your post had me interested in the mulberries last year. Unfortunately, the two mulberries I had on the land at my lake house got washed away by hurricane Laura.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Your post had me interested in the mulberries last year. Unfortunately, the two mulberries I had on the land at my lake house got washed away by hurricane Laura.
My suggestion is to ride the back roads and look for roadside mulberries. Birds disperse the seeds everywhere. Where you find mature,fruit-bearing trees, there's usually several small ones around.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My suggestion is to ride the back roads and look for roadside mulberries. Birds disperse the seeds everywhere. Where you find mature,fruit-bearing trees, there's usually several small ones around.
I am old and don't have much time to grow stuff haha. I am gonna look for a mature-tree and dig it up.

Top Bottom