Outside Boots for my backsaver

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
On the way back from the States i picked up a hydraulic lift table to save my back. Also picked up some larger wheels for outside use. My Bonsai area has smaller gravel base and also wood chip in areas. Planned on modifying it for outside use. Attached is a picture of the result. I had postponed purchasing one because of the limitation i perceived that it would only work on a hard surface. When i really needed it to slide heavier trees off of stands to take to the workshop.
Six fewer visits to the Physitherapist should pay for it:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0926.JPG
    IMG_0926.JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 53

adamjcode

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi, I'm interested in making my own cart. If possible, can you please share what brand/model you used for the cart, wheels, axles etc? Thanks!

adamjcode

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The brand is Haulmaster both cart and wheels. Found in Harbor Freight.
Thanks for the response! What size Haulmaster cart do you have - 500lb, 1000lb? Wheel sizes? Did you weld on custom brackets to mount the wide tires on the left side? I can't find a cart of any brand, anywhere that would have enough space to fit those Haulmaster tires.

IMG_0926.JPG

The following is the stock photo from Harbor Freight's website (https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-69148.html), and the brackets look considerably smaller and a different shape from what you show...

Capture.PNG

Any guidance much appreciated!!
Adam

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the response! What size Haulmaster cart do you have - 500lb, 1000lb? Wheel sizes? Did you weld on custom brackets to mount the wide tires on the left side? I can't find a cart of any brand, anywhere that would have enough space to fit those Haulmaster tires.

View attachment 180916

The following is the stock photo from Harbor Freight's website (https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-69148.html), and the brackets look considerably smaller and a different shape from what you show...

View attachment 180917

Any guidance much appreciated!!
Adam
Ok here goes! I purchased the 1000 lb version. Based on my impression of the difference in quality of design and materials used in the build. I am rarely impressed with economy versions over the long run.
I purchased four 10 inch haulmaster wheels with brackets. Two swivel and Two fixed. The bracket on the swivel swaps in and out with the smaller wheels provided up front. Same template. I then used my grinder to cut off and grind off flat the attached mounting brackets for the back wheels to ensure balance front to back. Then had a bonsai buddy weld on the brackets for the pair of ten inch fixed wheels. Take care to line up front wheels with back wheels and weld on straight for tracking purposes. I trimmed the corner tabs of the fixed mounting plates to remove the predrilled outside holes and prevent accidents after the welds were completed. Then i wire brushed off and filed away extra debris and spray painted the weld affected parts for longevity.
Hope it makes sense.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need to add the off-road tires to my hydraulic cart. I saw that Meco Bonsai sells one but it's a bit pricey.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I need to add the off-road tires to my hydraulic cart. I saw that Meco Bonsai sells one but it's a bit pricey.
I am very happy with the functional aspect of the larger tires. I also noticed that another B Nutter had adapted a wider stance version which looked like it would have an advantage over mine for three person trees:eek:. The conversion looked a little more complicated than mine though, and he has a stronger back and is much younger to deal with the larger trees;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unfortunately the welding part would be tougher for me to pull off because I don't know any welders.

Shit you are here!

I'd do it if I had a welder.

If you bring it to any shop set and ret....

You could probly get it welded free.

I'd a done it free when I was in the shop, other guys may need a $20 to say.."f my boss"....lol!

But Damn....

And this is only for rhetorical political humor..

If you shop at Harbor Freight you may as well give up your guns too!
Just buy their shackles and slap em on too!
See if they have license plate stamping tools too!

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the detailed response @Riversedgebonsai !
Unfortunately the welding part would be tougher for me to pull off because I don't know any welders. I'll likely go with the setup @markyscott posted here in post #58:

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/collected-winged-elm.23095/page-3
I Liked the wider stance on Markeyscott's and it is simpler modification to accomplish. Either way the back saving is a real blessing.

adamjcode

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Shit you are here!
You could probly get it welded free.

Haha, very good point. I was thinking lazy! I actually can picture a place really close to me now that I use my brain. Hmmmm...

I Liked the wider stance on Markeyscott's and it is simpler modification to accomplish.
True. Wider stance is better for me as I have quite a few 2- or 3-person trees that I try to lift myself!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Haha, very good point. I was thinking lazy! I actually can picture a place really close to me now that I use my brain. Hmmmm...

True. Wider stance is better for me as I have quite a few 2- or 3-person trees that I try to lift myself!
Keep in mind that level is safer with those larger trees. See if you can balance the size change in the back to level with the front wheels chosen.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Love this...cuz I'm on a big kick right now about how the mostly political "unnecessary stresses" of daily life keep us from realizing how "unnecessarily hard" our lives are.

Cuz even if we don't think about it, or do our best to avoid it, or feel it can't happen to us...

The fear that this "mass shooting" BS is instilling is very real.
It is evident here for those who think they are immune.

I know it is purposefully instilled because about 4 days later a kid at my kids school was arrested for "suspicions".
Its that easy to prevent.

But prevention doesn't keep is so confused that we fall into these states where we waste more of our lives trying to not waste our lives.

Mega rant mode!

Sorry!

Sorce

Top Bottom