Outstanding shohin white pine pre stock

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Was at the nursery yesterday and found this incredible tree. 8 inches tall with a 3 1/2 inch trunk. This tree was originally a semi cascade or an informal upright. None of which were really a good example of either style. There is/was a large, thick, no taper, completely straight first anchoring branch and a somewhat tall top. I initially picked it up to inspect the trunk. When I did I noticed that picking a completely different front, eliminating that thick branch and reducing the height of what is to be the back, made for a beautiful shohin.

The tree will need to be reduced gradually over the period of a few years. Yesterdays work consisted of removing half the straight, thick, no taper semi cascade branch. Also, reducing the height of the back some. I then used cut paste, well, it is more like a putty, from Japan, the seal the cuts.

Next year, I will either further reduce or do a repot. Which ever needs to be done. Even with a repot, It will probably just be put into another pot with better soil. Here are some pics after yesterdays work.

Rob

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Outstanding is an understatement. That's an awesome tree, Rob. I love that bark. . . . Great find. :)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Alex.. Here is the tree as purchased. Also, I have marked the work that was done.

CopyofIMG_3547.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, that's a super good change up. and can't even see the graft, very nice find!

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Hello...I am a deciduous/tropical bonsai person. Your white pine looks great. Keep us updated.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome pine. Don't find them like this very often.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome find and restyle! I've often wondered why we don't see any shohin white pine. Well, now we have seen one. Thanks. And Keep us updated.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a super good change up. and can't even see the graft, very nice find!

Exactly my thoughts too Judy about the graft, it's a very nice shohin Rob! Great find!

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
great job Rob..... that looks fantastic... a really powerful shohin ... bark is awesome!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks everyone...

Hi Smoke and Stan.. Ironically, a couple a weeks ago I was wondering if I had ever seen a thick trunk shohin white pine or white pine graft. I don't think I have ever seen one. Black pine shohin maybe, but not white.

Hi Dave.. Nope, no wiring this season for a couple of reasons. I want to let the tree rest after the chops, but probably more important is that I will most likely be reducing those chopped areas even more over the next 2 years. I am not really sure what or where the final branch configuration will be. I am happy that I was able to get it to at least resemble the final design.

Rob

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I havn't seen a white pine shohin.....black and red but not white. You may have the first. I even looked thru my Gafu books and couldn't find one.

Good_Ol_JR

Seedling
Reaction score
I am surprised on the rarity of seeing these to many. (I love this one by the way) If you own any good shohin books there are beautiful shohin White Pine everywhere. Albeit perhaps you mean in person as most of these are Japanese trees.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This fall would be a good time to start the styling with a little wire.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I am surprised on the rarity of seeing these to many. (I love this one by the way) If you own any good shohin books there are beautiful shohin White Pine everywhere. Albeit perhaps you mean in person as most of these are Japanese trees.

Thanks everyone..

Hello Good ol JR.. Can you post pics of them somehow?.. I mean, not little white pines with 1 inch trunks..there are a ton of those at the nursery. I mean fat trunked, almost sumo like, white pine grafts or white pine bonsai.

Hello Adair M... Possibly on the wiring thing. However, I intend to further reduce..so the trees future structure is unsure. Also, I believe that further reduction is necessary since there are branches that are obstructing where the final branches might be set.

Rob

Last edited:
Reaction score
Taisho en in Japan ;)
John

Attachments

• 69_urushibata-9.jpg
    69_urushibata-9.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom