oval attempt

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Rectangle attempt

Threw this on the wheel a month or so ago and altered to a rectangle. It was misshaped and uneven so I set it aside, it was never trimmed. Friday I was looking at it and had an idea to save it, although it would entail carving by hand. Luckily it was thick enough so I could straighten it up some. Came out of the kiln this morning. Too bad I didn't get a shot of it before carving.

Last edited:

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Made this using Paul's method.

A 12" wide x 1.5" deep oval, was so excited when it came out of the kiln in one piece (2 others cracked) that I staged it before taking a photo of the pot empty
IMG_9767.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good work. I like both, especially the second.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks quite saleable.

You mentioned carving,is it like sanding down?

I was sanding rivets the other day,they had,and still have,no uniformity but finishing with wet and dry,wirewool and a scouring pad before buffing with brazil nut oil! made it less irksome.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keith,

You did a very nice job on the oval.

Good proportions and an excellent glaze application.

I look forward to seeing a few more when they are ready.

Regards,
Paul

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice work! Thank you for sharing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow!!! that's just wonderful... love the glaze... I look forward to seeing more.... V

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Appreciate the kind words!

klytus,
I carved using plaster shaping tools since the clay was bone dry, also used a sureform on the surface.

Paul,
Was worried the depth was going to be too shallow, but worked out well for the tree I had in mind while making it. The glaze didn't translate well in the image, in the sun there is more green. Had to experiment with the application as it runs a lot, ruined 4 pots prior to this one due to fusing to the shelf.

Have another oval in the works, hopefully I'll have the final assembly completed this weekend.

Top Bottom