Over or under watering...?

JLee9706

Seedling
Reaction score
So I think one of the recent heat waves (113-117*) and smoke in the air (El Dorado Fire) had me over watering for a while. But now I can’t tell if I am i over watering or this is from previous under water from the sudden heat. This is happening to two of four of my junipers. One that is not brown is in a bonsai pot, the other is still in the nursery bucket that I cut down. I was told to wait until late winter to repot these.
Ideas in what to look out for?

Attachments

• EEDE1E1A-C788-4583-875E-4F287D84B1DB.jpeg
    EEDE1E1A-C788-4583-875E-4F287D84B1DB.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 50

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of soil are they in? With fast draining, mostly inorganic soils it's almost impossible to over water.

JLee9706

Seedling
Reaction score
The one in the bonsai pot is in bonsai soil mix. To be honest, I’m not sure about the others. I can assume in a good mix for the pot they are in. I picked them up at a reputable bonsai nursery. I’m going this weekend as well.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The one in the bonsai pot is in bonsai soil mix. To be honest, I’m not sure about the others. I can assume in a good mix for the pot they are in. I picked them up at a reputable bonsai nursery. I’m going this weekend as well.

Take the tree along with you and get some first hand advice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Underwatering for sure.

Lotta bullshit in ash that you'd want to keep flushed out too.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is almost impossible to work out whether under or over watering from the symptoms above ground. Given your hot summer and your concern about over watering being a problem I would bet the tree has been too dry. I suspect this is often the case but people still blame over watering and the myth continues.
Best way to check is leave a wood chopstick or skewer in the soil and check it to gauge moisture content below the surface.
If in doubt more water in summer is safer. I water twice a day in summer rain, sun or smoke (and we also get plenty of that here in summer). Well drained bonsai soils are just that - well drained. Excess water does not hang around to cause problems.

Very good idea to take the trees back to get on the spot advice.

Top Bottom