Over Wintering Atlas Blue Cedar

bonsaiguy

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I recently aquired a Atlas Blue Cedar and I am trying to se if there is anyone out there that has had some experience in over wintering them. I live in Indiana and cold frame all of my trees but I am not real sure how to treat this tree. The few things I have read say they need protection from extremes but don't go into any detail.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I keep four of them in my heated 36 degree cold frame here in MN. They are all doing well. They sit in there from Halloween to May 1st. Don't over water them, but they seem to use more water than othe trees.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine lives in my cold overwintering house. Heat mat keeps the roots from freezing, air temps between 32 and 38. I wold not try to keep it in my zone without this type of protection.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy, do you see much of an increase in your electric consumption if at all using the mats?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not a huge bump, but I can tell you it takes more to run the heater than the mats. This way I can keep the heater time down, the air less dry, and still keep the plants happy. Actually, I think they like bottom heat better than air heat.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The reason I ask is I have a kingsville boxwood that I don't think can take it outside like the rest of my trees. I was thinking of putting a regular medical heating pad under it but they get hot, aren't very reliable and getting them wet isn't recommended. I used to keep it in the basement in the house I used to live in but no basement here.

LarryAldrich

Seedling
Reaction score
What is the minimum temperature cedar bonsai can take? I'm in Seattle and have purchased a couple as pre-bonsai. They are in nursery pots with a mixture of field soil and bonsai soil. It's my first winter with them and would hate to see them die. Our current lows are around freezing with daytime highs around 44f.

Thanks
Larry Aldrich
Seattle WA

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What is the minimum temperature cedar bonsai can take? I'm in Seattle and have purchased a couple as pre-bonsai. They are in nursery pots with a mixture of field soil and bonsai soil. It's my first winter with them and would hate to see them die. Our current lows are around freezing with daytime highs around 44f.

Thanks
Larry Aldrich
Seattle WA

They're rated to zone 6, -10 F. I had Blue Atlas Cedar planted in my landscape in MA that routinely saw temps below 0 F and survived. They are very susceptible to wind burn when the ground/soil is frozen. I'd think they'd not have any issues with the cold during a Seattle winter.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Freezeless in Seattle

Thanks
Larry Aldrich
Seattle WA

Larry, I live about 50 miles south of you and the issue here is less the cold than the wind and rain. Keep your cedars near a west or east wall where the will receive some sunlight and wind protection and you are good. Mulch the root ball with some leaves if you want. Generally speaking they can handle temps down to 20 degrees F. If it gets below that, put them in the garage overnight.

Top Bottom