(overly?) Ambitious white mulberry collection

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This bad boy was growing up against my neighbors garage. It was not a pretty scene collecting it. Soon as I got down 4+ inches it was apparent most all of its roots were running up against the foundation or out into some unknown ether, 2-3 inches thick and little to no salvageable feeders within a 20" radius... plus a taproot that went down at least a few feet. I didn't have any grow boxes it would fit in so I put it in a garden planter. Mix of about:
  • 60% Napa 8822 DE
  • 20% general organic bonsai mix
  • 20% native soil dug up
Wish I'd gotten more process pics, but in the thick of it I was sweating in 35F weather in next to no clothing so was just trying to get it out without killing either of us. Luckily these things are literal invasive weeds, so maybe it will make it?? Here's the pics I do have. Any advice/feedback welcome. Never worked with Morus before.

Attachments

• IMG-2390.JPG
    IMG-2390.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-2391.JPG
    IMG-2391.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-2527.JPG
    IMG-2527.JPG
    421.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-2528.JPG
    IMG-2528.JPG
    422.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-2529.JPG
    IMG-2529.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG-2530.JPG
    IMG-2530.JPG
    564.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-2531.JPG
    IMG-2531.JPG
    584.6 KB · Views: 57
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I chop mulberries (in the ground not potted) I get lots of die-back down down the trunk from the cut. Sealing the cut immediately would probably help. Probably should try that.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Did you cut off the very long stout sideways roots? I think the thinner roots with traces of feeder roots are all you will need. I failed to remove the very long roots on a privet I dug up and ended up with roots only at their tips, which means I will have to cut back the long roots again and start from scratch.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I also agree with the suggestions, cut those thick roots to within 4 inches or so of the trunk. The largest should be cut off flush to the trunk. You will get new feeder roots. Second, I also would recommend sealing those cuts. It will help prevent die back.

Great project. I would have fun with a stump like that. Nice find.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
You can root them from hardwood cuttings of that size. Keep it moist and it will be fine.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wow, look at those golden mulberry roots!
Very distinctive...
I had 2 volunteers pop up in the yard last year, wanted to keep em...but we're moving, so I can't add trees to my collection at this time...
I was cleaning the yard last weekend and ripped them out...bright yellow roots!

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for all the replies - forgot I'd never answered this (and apparently missed some other replies). I cut back the roots to about half of what you see there. It takes up all of the width but only about half the length of that container it's potted in. I assume by now the best most is to just wait and let it try and recuperate rather than dig up and re-cut roots and seal them... is it still worth sealing the big main cut? It was already about 50% dead where I sawed it off a few weeks ago in preparation for this dig...

Top Bottom