Overnight Cedar Apple rust explosion

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This wasn't here yesterday.20190420_122645.jpg
Ive got some crabapple, and neighbors have eating- apple trees.
Anyone know if I should wash this gel off before treating?
CW

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This wasn't here yesterday.
Ive got some crabapple, and neighbors have eating- apple trees.
Anyone know if I should wash this gel off before treating?
CW
I wouldn’t wash it off, for fear of spreading it around. I’d remove it though, and then treat the tree. But remember, CA rust is “the lifer” of tree diseases...once = always.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If those apple trees are going to be there, the rust is always going to be around. Maybe look for species of juniper that are resistant? I dunno if that's a thing, I don't have any juniper but I imagine there must be some species that are uneffected or less often effected

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
According to wiki, it takes two years between initial infection until the mature galls produce the orange spore bodies. They seemingly explode overnight once condutions are favorable.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If those apple trees are going to be there, the rust is always going to be around. Maybe look for species of juniper that are resistant? I dunno if that's a thing, I don't have any juniper but I imagine there must be some species that are uneffected or less often effected
I've never seen a shimpaku with CA rust... my RMJs get it in varying degrees (swapping out the foliage as we speak;))

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As if there's not enough to do this time of year, I spent most of the day removing infected branches that had the orange spore bodies. Quite a lot of foliage.

I have about a dozen various types of juniper, and not all of them are showing signs of the fruiting fungus. Funny too, but neither of my Cedrus are affected.

Spraying with Sulphur and keeping fingers crossed.

If those apple trees are going to be there, the rust is always going to be around Proximity the my Crabapple landscape tree doesn't seem to increase the infestation. Also, this is the first year (in 10-12) that I remember having hundreds of crab seedlings sprouting in the grass under the tree. Don't know if there's a relation there.

Thanks for the tips, guys.
CW

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think it got it's name because of eastern/western red "cedar". Which are juniper. I don't think it actually affects cedrus. I know ERC are extremely susceptible to it. I had one get infected within a few months of planting an apple tree

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Had one small glob on one of my junipers so i dowsed it with daconil. It seemed to do the trick at first but reappeared so I hit it again and hasnt come back.

Strange stuff. I have a second juniper with no infection. Keeping an eye on it.

It appears mostly after 6 hours of constant moisture at night if I remember reading that correctly... we had a ton of rain last night though and no reappearance.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
On April 1 I sprayed everything including junipers with Bonide Infuse a systemic fingicide that lists rusts among the many fungi it kills. We just had a long spell of rainy weather including 3 1/2” over the weekend so if the rust is going to pay a visit here it should have struck by now. Oddly enough I have previously not used any fungicides and the junipers haven’t had any issues but last year my NEW service berry tree had fruit covered with the rust fruiting structures so I decided to be proactive. I also plan to spray again the end of April with a different fungicide (Daconil) to prevent the fungi developing a resistance to Infuse and I may even introduce Mancozeb into the rotation plan later. With all the different trees I now have in the collection, the increasing amount of spring wet weather, and the increase in fungi outbreaks in this area I hope a very proactive approach will head them off at the pass.

Top Bottom