Overpotting in a Pond Basket

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know that overpotting is generally a bad thing for a number of reasons, but I'm wondering if that also applies when it comes to pond baskets? I have a JBP I want to slip pot into one, but it's like a 12 inch pond basket, and the root ball is only about 4 inches in diameter.

The only reason I even ask is that I know a big risk with overpotting is having standing water in the bottom of the pot, but since pond baskets dry out a bit more evenly, I was thinking it may be okay.

Thoughts?

PS: Here's the tree
IMG_0406.jpg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey I saw that tree on eBay! I think... Sometimes I slightly over pot into pure lava if a pine has to much organics in the soil and it's not repot season. But I'm sure a better answer will come down the pipe (pike?). Until then...
Bump

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey I saw that tree on eBay! I think... Sometimes I slightly over pot into pure lava if a pine has to much organics in the soil and it's not repot season. But I'm sure a better answer will come down the pipe (pike?). Until then...
Bump
Thanks, GGB. That was probably the one! There was an awesome Cork Bark Elm being sold by the same seller, but I worried about how it would do in my climate. JBPs seem more cold hardy, and it's been growing in 9b, so it can probably handle our heat.

I liked the branching on this one. Seems like it's already well set up to develop three distinct foliage pads.

Reactions: GGB

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just buy some smaller pond baskets. They should arrive in a couple of days.
I can totally do that, just wondering if the one I have is workable. Pond baskets aren't as cheap as I would've thought.

Got a good source?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't get why air pots, fiberous mesh potz and pond baskets are okay, while slip potting in coarse media is not. The effect is the same.
I found no ill effects in either of those techniques with 5 junipers and a bunch of pines. All pretty sensitive root plants.
So overpotting, why not?

I'm going to start a thread about the effects and make a comparison.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't get why air pots, fiberous mesh potz and pond baskets are okay, while slip potting in coarse media is not. The effect is the same.
I found no ill effects in either of those techniques with 5 junipers and a bunch of pines. All pretty sensitive root plants.
So overpotting, why not?

I'm going to start a thread about the effects and make a comparison.
Well, this will be going into coarse medium, but it's already in coarse medium.

The reason I've heard that overpotting from organic soil into a coarse inorganic soil is that the water drains much more quickly out of coarse soil. So, it basically washes around the root ball, and drains out before really soaking it. Water takes the path of least resistance, so it just goes straight through the inorganic, without really giving the organic a good soak.

Of course, you're more experienced than me, so maybe I'm wrong.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought my pond baskets from Home Depot and Lowe's. Less than three dollars each. I think the 10 inch ones were only $1.50.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought my pond baskets from Home Depot and Lowe's. Less than three dollars each. I think the 10 inch ones were only $1.50.
Hmm, all I can find are 10 inchers. I'd probably need a 6, or so, inch one.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did exactly the same thing with a JBP 2 yr seedling - slightly loosened the roots packed in a 4 inch pot, put into a 1 gal pond basket in mostly pumice. I take care to water at the base of the trunk. It's doing great.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did exactly the same thing with a JBP 2 yr seedling - slightly loosened the roots packed in a 4 inch pot, put into a 1 gal pond basket in mostly pumice. I take care to water at the base of the trunk. It's doing great.
Awesome! Good to know. How long has it been in there?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get those for a dollar a piece at a local hydroponics shop

Reactions: GGB

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can also look for aquarium plant baskets. They're going to be smaller than the pond basket. I've seen them as small as 2 inches. You can look up an aquarium store online, or even Amazon.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The real question you should be asking is why are you doing this?
Good question. Mostly for development down the road, but also for slightly better winter hardiness.

Is anyone here worried about winter hardiness of a JBP in 7a/6b?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks, Bonsai Nut! I found those, but had two concerns: a) They still seem kind of large. Mine are 12". And b) The holes seem large enough for soil to come through.

What are your thoughts on overpotting like this?

It depends on the size of the your tree, your soil mix, and your environment. My soil mix for pines is mostly sifted pumice, so I don't get any soil coming out of the holes, plus I have to go a little large on my pond baskets given our heat and low humidity. I don't even know how many of these I own - probably 50+. They are my largest pond baskets - anything larger goes into a 15" Anderson flat.

2401B-Deep-Propagation.jpg

Top Bottom