Overwatered JBP in the Autumn

Halifax

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi Friends,
I have two nice JBP bonsai that I have been growing for about 5 years. They are about 10 years old. I had to travel for work and when I just arrived back home, I found that my neighbor who was keeping an eye on my place absolutely soaked the pots. They are WET through and through. I am worried about losing the plants and am unsure what if anything to do. I live in Zone 4 in New England and it has been cold lately, days to 45degF and nights to about 25degF so not a lot of evaporation.
Should I just let them be or ?
Any help appreciated.
Kind regards!

IMG_3049.png

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you are convinced they are really in serious trouble, pop them out of the pots and sit the bare mass of roots and substrate on the bench for a few days to dry out (i.e., until the bottom isn't 'wringing wet'). Then replace them in their pots with the least root disturbance you can manage.

However, there shouldn't be much of a problem if it is in a good inorganic substrate.
The primary visible symptom of over watering is yellow needle tips. If you were gone for a week or two, it is likely that your trees would have very yellow tips, had your neighbor kept them this way the whole time you were gone.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just back from vacation, I am experiencing the same issue.
I am not allowed to give watering instructions because it insults
my brother in law who couldn't figure out where the dead branches came from
in a wind storm while we were gone. Guess he couldn't look up.

Keeping mine in full Sun withholding water.
Temps allowing frost and had freezing temps too while gone.
Still he watered the snot out of them in the shade.

Now, this is, may sound kind of silly, but if you think about it,
you know which trees need repotting now or what may need tweaking in your soil components.
Your trees are probably fine .

So glad I am phasing out akadama, or at minimum, reducing it a lot.
Next year I hope to get my misting system going and of better quality than what I just got last month.

Halifax

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks, Gents. No yellow tips. They don't have a big inorganic component to the soils ... I will fix that in the spring. Big cold rain coming this weekend; I will make sure that they stay out of it.

Japonicus, are you phasing out akadama because of the breakdown fines?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks, Gents. No yellow tips. They don't have a big inorganic component to the soils ... I will fix that in the spring. Big cold rain coming this weekend; I will make sure that they stay out of it.

Japonicus, are you phasing out akadama because of the breakdown fines?
Yes indeed. I started this Spring using DE 8822 but not happy with the small size.
I recently got 3.5g of 1/4” “turface called Monto Clay at
https://www.bonsaijack.com/shop/bon...ns-turface-monto-clay-garden-soil-ingredient/
Jack is awesome when it comes to customer service and providing fast shipping, and very clean product.
He’s easy to talk to and takes most calls without voicemail.
Due to the moisture retention of the DE, I haven’t removed it yet. Excess water is not a problem with it alone.

Halifax

Sapling
Reaction score
I was thinking about using BJ's conifer mix for my JBPs in the spring. I have used it for dwarf and miniature conifers and ran into a bit of trouble because that coarse stuff requires a lot more attention to watering than the other soils that I've used in my plant collection. At the very least, I've learned that I need consistency of soils within plant groups to prevent shorting anyone of their water needs.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Top Bottom