Overwinter treatment for coastal redwood

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

I have a good overwinter routine of lime sulfur and dormant spray for my deciduous trees, but I can't find much information on prophylactic regimens for coastal redwood. I'm always concerned about fungal issues in my area.

Thanks,
Lars

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

I have a good overwinter routine of lime sulfur and dormant spray for my deciduous trees, but I can't find much information on prophylactic regimens for coastal redwood. I'm always concerned about fungal issues in my area.

Thanks,
Lars

I do not do anything with my coastal redwoods. They are a high humidity species. After visiting them one January with 40F temps, lots of fog and every tree everywhere dripping water, I decided I wasn't going to worry myself about it. I don't know if there are susceptible to local fungis, but they seem to do well against them in their native habitat.

My experience growing them only extends back 3 years though...so maybe don't put too much stock in it...

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Coastal redwood are pretty pest/disease resistant naturally.

Like the above poster said, they stay very wet, and thrive in foggy conditions with the foliage dripping for days on end. Ive found Its almost like a mist-magnet (cypress too).

Does yours have fungus issues?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I do not do anything with my coastal redwoods. They are a high humidity species. After visiting them one January with 40F temps, lots of fog and every tree everywhere dripping water, I decided I wasn't going to worry myself about it. I don't know if there are susceptible to local fungis, but they seem to do well against them in their native habitat.

My experience growing them only extends back 3 years though...so maybe don't put too much stock in it...
Do you mean to say that you over-winter Coastal Redwoods outdoors in KC? I had the impression their roots would not stand freezing.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you mean to say that you over-winter Coastal Redwoods outdoors in KC? I had the impression their roots would not stand freezing.

Garage under lights for the coastals. The dawns and sequoia winter outside. The sequoia move into the garage if we get an ice storm just to keep branches from breaking.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks to you all for the responses. I have only had mine for less than a year. Two did great this past year. They put on so much growth under my 30% shade cloth in NC, it was impressive. One had a delay in shipping and spent a full week in transit from California. It seemed to struggle this past year with wilted foliage, despite high ambient humidity and my watering the foliage. I wasn't sure if there was a fungal issue or not though.

Ryan had a Redwood video last week and talked about how the native range is dryer summers and wet winters. He mentioned that the high humidity in the summer in some locations could predispose to fungal issues.

I was just trying to be proactive and I find there is an overall paucity of information on coastal redwoods, especially when grown outside the west coast.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks to you all for the responses. I have only had mine for less than a year. Two did great this past year. They put on so much growth under my 30% shade cloth in NC, it was impressive. One had a delay in shipping and spent a full week in transit from California. It seemed to struggle this past year with wilted foliage, despite high ambient humidity and my watering the foliage. I wasn't sure if there was a fungal issue or not though.

Ryan had a Redwood video last week and talked about how the native range is dryer summers and wet winters. He mentioned that the high humidity in the summer in some locations could predispose to fungal issues.

I was just trying to be proactive and I find there is an overall paucity of information on coastal redwoods, especially when grown outside the west coast.
I've had mine for 3 years now in the Kansas City area. Summers are pretty humid here...and hot. I've not had issues...yet anyway. Mine sit in morning sun until about 3PM then shade. I generally water every morning and sometimes would mist midday to help cool them off/keep them hydrated. I did have a day or three this summer where I missed a watering and one or two of them started to get droopy...but they perked right up with more water and misting.

If you're interested, there's a thread on some of my redwoods here:

And I'm hoping to survive to the end of the "from seed forest contest" with these guys here:

I'd be curious to see yours and hear your experiences being you're also well out of their native range :) Have you started a thread on them somewhere yet?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

normally I stand by what Ryan says, but native range dry summers is not entirely correct. We have very foggy wet summers in good portions of coastal redwood forests.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I like A because the cloud feet of B are a little to fancy for me

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
B

Partly to be a contrarian and partly because it reminds me of the fog they are so dependent on ;)

But don't listen to me...I could care less about show bonsai...

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went with A. It was too dark to take a picture, but I'll start a new thread and link tomorrow.

Top Bottom