Overwintering a rock planting

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
I recently made a rock planting with boxwoods. I really like how it came out.
IMG_20170730_100415293[1].jpg
Never really considered how to over winter it beforehand.
What would you suggest in Durham, NC

Thank you,

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks great! How do you typically winter your trees? The reason I ask...is I winter my rock planting in my cold greenhouse as I do the rest of the trees that go dormant. I have a boot tray under it to keep water from running everywhere...it allow allows to keep it out of water and help with humidity to a degree.

image.jpg

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Cadillactaste , Being in the northeast, I rarely see porous lava rock like your planting shown. Im curious if you found wild or purchased. I started this past spring with making my own rock formations with cement and mixing with various substrates. I got a few that I am gonna let get weathered for winter and plant next spring, plus still working the trees, haha...patience and timing = better bonsai creations, as I am learning each season.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Cadillactaste , Being in the northeast, I rarely see porous lava rock like your planting shown. Im curious if you found wild or purchased. I started this past spring with making my own rock formations with cement and mixing with various substrates. I got a few that I am gonna let get weathered for winter and plant next spring, plus still working the trees, haha...patience and timing = better bonsai creations, as I am learning each season.
This planting came from DaSu bonsai. The rocks are cemented with some sort of apoxy or cocking. But for the most part the overall appearance does look like one rock. This rock planting is to large for me to move about. My husband lugs it for me when I put it into winter storage.
Photo of it from this year.
image.jpg

More power to you...make sure to share your creations when they are placed together. Tag me if you remember. Enjoy your journey.

Top Bottom