Overwintering - Apartment Balcony in D.C.

tpallas

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello -

This is my first year keeping trees (all pre-bonsai). I have trident maple, white oak, Korean hornbeam, shimpaku, Japanese maple, and wisteria. I'm researching to prepare to overwinter them so would certainly appreciate any advice.

I live on the 12th floor of an east-facing apartment and keep everything on a balcony. Do I have a hope of keeping these plants overwinter protected from the wind? Or would you recommend other measures?

Thanks!

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Protect the tridents. Get yourself a cement tub from Home Depot and a bag of mulch. Bury pot and tree. Keep trees out of the wind.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I live in your area and am a big proponent of not over thinking over wintering, but I also dig most of my stuff in with some mulch on the ground. I wish we had enough snow to pile on top of the plants as that is actually a pretty good insulator. It is my understanding that ground offers a fair amount of ambient heat during the coldest parts of the winter.
I haven't had experience overwintering on a balcony and I'd be curious to hear if anyone had.
I would think you have two options.. either, leave them out on the balcony for survival of the fittest (you might be surprised how many make it through just fine), or build some sort of partitions to block the wind and feed a pipe heating cable(they sell them to keep pipes from bursting) around the bottom of the enclosure to take the edge off when it drops below freezing. You'll have to check the moisture more often with the heat supply even if it doesn't kick in until around freezing.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think Chuchin has the right idea, but I might elect to go with a deeper tub, like ones with a plastic lid (think storage container), only dont use the lid. With taller walls it offers more room for mulch and better wind protection. Remember, the mulch is to keep stuff cold, not warm. It's OK to be frozen, but the freeze-thaw cycle needs to be minimized. No sun, minimal wind, minimal water but enough so they dont dry out. Good luck!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If I had this same situation, I would find a large cooler, like a big styro one, or something with good insulation properties. It will have a lid, that will work for you on cold windy days, but don't know how large your trees are. I'm just thinking the insulation will keep the temps more regulated than a rubber or plastic tub.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If there is a possibility that rain might get into the storage container, I would think you would want some holes in the bottom for drainage, especially if you are leaving the top off?

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can always bring them indoors on the very coldest/windiest days. Our weather is fairly mild though, so that mulched box idea should work.

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would look into using the clean insulation plastic you put over windows, put it around the inside of the balcony. That would give your trees a break from the wind, still allow them to cool down and with the plastic on the inside no one will really notice. That mixed with the idea of the concrete mixing tubs and you might have a start to a good plan. :cool:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do third floor window sills and only lost stuff last year. Brutal.

I'm working on a 12 floor roof right now, and know wind is very different up there!

I like the surrounding with plastic idea, but with your glass reflecting and so enclosed, it could get hot in there. Even with an open top. White sheets? White Sox flags? Lol

I think as long as you keep the wind off em, you'll be ok.

Its nice having few pests up so high aint it?

Sorce

tpallas

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks all for the great replies! Looks like I will try the tub with mulch and plastic covering.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I've overwintered all of the above species when i lived in NYC on my 4th floor fire escape with no problem. Move your sensitive trees closest to the window and you'll be fine. If they're calling for temperatures lower then your zone then bring them in for the night and put them back out during the day. You should be just fine.

Top Bottom