Overwintering Hawthorn Air Layers

newby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This spring I air layered several Hawthorn on a friends property- first attempt! I am late to retrieve them, but am amazed that I had success with 8/12, with one doubtful that I potted up anyway. The successes all had a nice mass of roots in the moss and I just plonked them in a pot with good potting soil without disturbing them.
My problem is how to overwinter. I have an unheated greenhouse, but lost several trees last year because I didn't think about the effect of temperature fluctiuations. Would it be best to put the pots directly in the earth? We probably have a month to 6 weeks before the ground freezes up here, and we typically have good snow cover.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Greetings.

Good question, yet we need more data. Normally I would say Hawthorns are bulletproof, to stick it in the ground and mulch it in… but that could depend on where you are located.

Please double click on your icon atop the page. Go to account details. Scroll down and enter your approximate location and USDA plant hardiness zone. This data will appear on your icon and we can use it to help answer your questions from now on..

cheers
DSD sends

newby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank you, DSD- I didn'y know how to add my location, fixed now. I am in the middle of Ontario, 5a, decent winter snow cover.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good to see you were successful in layering hawthorn. What variety are they and what technique did you use on them?

newby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have 6 Crataegus monogyna, and 2 (?3) native hawthaorn, ? Crataegus chrysocarpa. I'll have to do a bit more checking on the latter, but it's the native hawthorn that grows in abandoned farm fields and the edges of woods around here.
I followed Peter Chan's method, removed about an inch of bark around the stem/branch, scratched off the cambium layer, applied rooting hormone, wrapped in clear plastic and secured top and bottom with wire over a generous handful wet sphagnum . I wrapped again with opaque plastic and left it for the summer. I couldn't get back to separate them earlier, and a few had dried out. I'm still very pleased at my first attempt at this- I hope they survive the winter.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the location information and particulars.

Well, if the greenhouse won’t be regulated for winter storage, then in the ground is the very best place for these air layers. Hawthorns are hardy in your zone, so they will have as good a chance as any. Likely each has kicked into para dormancy already.

One could plant the pot in good soil just like it was a rooted tree, ensuring proper drainage underneath. Then mulch the trees well to ensure the roots are well insulated.

Might want to water a bit before and after freezing spells as needed.

Good Luck!

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom