Overwintering in a greenhouse?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
@Frozentreehugger ,@Pinenut , thanks for the much appreciated input!
I’d be lying though, if I said I wasn’t disappointed.
As soon as I purchased the greenhouse I started doing the research, and realized that I Was naïve in thinking a Greenhouse would help my wintering plans.
I much enjoy having a morning coffee or evening beer while being outside in a slightly more pleasant environment. I hope to make that a continued opportunity.
I do think I will take y’all’s advice and get thermex on the west and south walls. Non permanent though. One thing I love about my place is the outside space. Don’t want the greenhouse looking like a shanty, especially in the warm months.

I’ve treated the greenhouse plants the same way as the outside plants as far as being mulched and under benches. 7852A188-29D9-498F-A6B8-4CF7845358DC.jpeg04CD0A79-F136-4B3C-AFBE-69D31535422C.jpeg2526D59B-C66A-4D6A-A8BF-63E5F14495B9.jpeg I have 6 five gallon pails of ice distributed near the plants. I am currently leaving 4 vents plus the door slightly open as needed.821BF94F-4AA0-4E39-8B9A-3A7583B4076C.jpegI plan on Getting a solar operated fan to mount in the peak of the greenhouse5865EC1E-5604-44D5-B465-1ECAB80B6C8D.jpeg
I hope I don’t kill all the plants in here this year, but we all have to learn somehow.🤣
I imagine if I have negative results, I will use the greenhouse any more traditional way, and stick to the old tried and true outside method of wintering. 🙏

Attachments

• CBEEB3CC-2151-4E34-9C82-2A249EC00430.jpeg
    CBEEB3CC-2151-4E34-9C82-2A249EC00430.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 15
  • B3932412-6111-46E6-BD33-6CA38309903D.jpeg
    B3932412-6111-46E6-BD33-6CA38309903D.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 14

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Frozentreehugger ,@Pinenut , thanks for the much appreciated input!
I’d be lying though, if I said I wasn’t disappointed.
As soon as I purchased the greenhouse I started doing the research, and realized that I Was naïve in thinking a Greenhouse would help my wintering plans.
I much enjoy having a morning coffee or evening beer while being outside in a slightly more pleasant environment. I hope to make that a continued opportunity.
I do think I will take y’all’s advice and get thermex on the west and south walls. Non permanent though. One thing I love about my place is the outside space. Don’t want the greenhouse looking like a shanty, especially in the warm months.

I’ve treated the greenhouse plants the same way as the outside plants as far as being mulched and under benches. View attachment 465931View attachment 465928View attachment 465929 I have 6 five gallon pails of ice distributed near the plants. I am currently leaving 4 vents plus the door slightly open as needed.View attachment 465932I plan on Getting a solar operated fan to mount in the peak of the greenhouseView attachment 465925
I hope I don’t kill all the plants in here this year, but we all have to learn somehow.🤣
I imagine if I have negative results, I will use the greenhouse any more traditional way, and stick to the old tried and true outside method of wintering. 🙏
I feel your pain bro . Not trying to be negative just realistic I wish you all the best . I have seen others struggle thru it this far north . As I have said on other posts . The greenhouses ability to extend seasons is a plus . I have considered it a lot . Thinking a pit dug below the frost line with a green house like yours on top has merit . I believe at end of the day a hybrid system is best . Extend the season with the green house get a head start in spring . But put the trees someplace more stable in heart of winter . I totally get the joy. Spending time with a coffee .Wife and I considered is a full addition to the house green house at warm temp a better idea . Sounds great enjoy lunch . With tropical plants while the snow falls on the roof . And all around you . Until the sticker shock . It’s by far the most expensive addition to a house . You can think of . 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ The long winter up here with your trees in hiding . Is what drives so many bonsai people up north to tropical so they have something to play with . Best of luck I am very interested in your results

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Well, so far so good.
Of course I won’t know for another month or so. As of now, I’m not seeing any obvious signs of anything waking up.
Some maples seem to be swelling, but not sure. C29C9646-2AA4-4912-B855-99132CF510D8.jpeg
Today it hit 50 degrees F. in here, but it’s 37 and sunny out, so that’s to be expected.
I believe my 6 five gallon water pails may be helping regulate the flux. 0E604226-63CC-4C43-B8A4-4FD8E4DA9F8D.jpeg
Also I realized quickly that I needed to take the snow off the roof every snow, to make sure it didn’t cave in. This made a nice snow bunker around the greenhouse. ADCF9BDF-6D9C-4063-A054-92E9F872403D.jpeg
I still want to get a fan to help ventilate this thing more. I’ve been looking at solar because I don’t want to run power out here.
Any feedback on this would be a great help!
Thank you.

Attachments

• 5A24280A-A60E-4D6E-B62B-3CA51A5163B8.jpeg
    5A24280A-A60E-4D6E-B62B-3CA51A5163B8.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 13

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice ! Maple looks like it’s getting a tad perky…

When I first started using cold frames and cold greenhouses I got an awful lots of “It will fry your trees then freeze them!”

Never happened. Of course if I kept the trees in these all summer…

OBTW, some of those tree look a tad dry, but I’m not on scene 😉

cheers
DSD sends

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is similar to my setup. I have lots of vents so it acts more like a cold frame. My azaleas did well, and a few smaller pines too. But most things I still left outside.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice ! Maple looks like it’s getting a tad perky…

When I first started using cold frames and cold greenhouses I got an awful lots of “It will fry your trees then freeze them!”

Never happened. Of course if I kept the trees in these all summer…

cheers
DSD sends
Yeah. That’s been my experience thus far.
I can expect it to be around 10 degrees or so warmer than outside in the afternoon. If it’s sunny, more like 15.
With a modded exhaust fan, that margin would narrow. I would think.

In the summertime, (this will be its first with plants) I’m thinking only some heat loving succulents and cactus will occupy the greenhouse. Even with the shade net in there, last August it would regularly hit 120

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah. That’s been my experience thus far.
I can expect it to be around 10 degrees or so warmer than outside in the afternoon. If it’s sunny, more like 15.
With a modded exhaust fan, that margin would narrow. I would think.

In the summertime, (this will be its first with plants) I’m thinking only some heat loving succulents and cactus will occupy the greenhouse. Even with the shade net in there, last August it would regularly hit 120
It will hit 120 at the roof. Lower it will be more reasonable like 110. My tropicals will grow an inch a day in Ohio, just leave the door and vents wide open.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
It will hit 120 at the roof. Lower it will be more reasonable like 110. My tropicals will grow an inch a day in Ohio, just leave the door and vents wide open.
Awesome! Good to know! Having the doors open makes a huge difference. I need to make a screen door/panel to keep the nature out.
I left the doors slid slightly open earlier this winter, and bunnies had a feast on some elm, forsythia, and even ate my deadly nightshade down to a stump.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t have or need a greenhouse. Trees I have are all outdoor climate native and remain outdoor exposed all year long. So my comment is somewhat wasteful. If I had a greenhouse like your set-up, I would imagine that it would be a spectacular resort haven for mice, rabbits, raccoons and other small creatures. And, for a creature bonus, it even has mulch for cozy bedding in places I wouldn’t detect unless I did a routine exploration.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I don’t have or need a greenhouse. Trees I have are all outdoor climate native and remain outdoor exposed all year long. So my comment is somewhat wasteful. If I had a greenhouse like your set-up, I would imagine that it would be a spectacular resort haven for mice, rabbits, raccoons and other small creatures. And, for a creature bonus, it even has mulch for cozy bedding in places I wouldn’t detect unless I did a routine exploration.
For sure. I’m learning that the greenhouse will function differently than I originally imagined.

Keeping trees in it during the warm months is not a reality. Too hot.
However, I do think the trees I have in here this winter have been happy.

No pests so far besides the rabbit feeding.
I’ve had more damage done to my trees I keep outside.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Here’s my pyracantha and dwarf cherry.
Deterrents didn’t keep the vermin from stripping the low branches first.
Once the snow piled up, they ate the top. 968DF550-B639-4F45-A188-9B26138187DC.jpeg6DE39127-FB08-4EFF-AF75-C66535EDFD66.jpegThese are just the 2 I can see right now.
Below the 12”of snow there are many other small trees that have been feasted on.
I guess my point is that I feel the greenhouse does add a layer of protection.

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad your having success . Bods well for my thoughts of having a green house to lengthen the seasons . I think the size is helping you . Small cold frames are the problems heat wise I have heard about . As for a fan . A option. Is a 12volt system . A conventional car battery . Easily keep charged with a cheap solar panel . Motor home and trailer . Boats lots of options for fans . Deep cycle battery is best but a cheaper car battery will do . Low voltage easy hook up safe .

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here’s my pyracantha and dwarf cherry.
Deterrents didn’t keep the vermin from stripping the low branches first.
Once the snow piled up, they ate the top. View attachment 475078View attachment 475079These are just the 2 I can see right now.
Below the 12”of snow there are many other small trees that have been feasted on.
I guess my point is that I feel the greenhouse does add a layer of protection.
Good points you make. Looks like the rabbit buffet was open. I have a Bobcat and some Coyotes that frequent my area so right now I have a low rabbit population. I hope it stays that way.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad your having success . Bods well for my thoughts of having a green house to lengthen the seasons . I think the size is helping you . Small cold frames are the problems heat wise I have heard about . As for a fan . A option. Is a 12volt system . A conventional car battery . Easily keep charged with a cheap solar panel . Motor home and trailer . Boats lots of options for fans . Deep cycle battery is best but a cheaper car battery will do . Low voltage easy hook up safe .
You and I have almost same climate . Zone 4 here . Would be very interested if you charted min max temp

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mice are a problem in the compost, but it isn't like they really mess anything up. Never had them get into a tree. Coons will get in but eat scraps and then leave.
I have 2 big brute trashcans filled with roof runoff. They warm up during the day and keep the house warm(er) at night. They aren't magic though.

I am actually really like the setup. Mine is pretty hard used.

Robertji

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have a Govee thermometer/hygrometer with bluetooth so I can check from inside the house that works great 17 Canadian bucks on Amazon. It also charts min/max temps etc. I was out in the greenhouse today, it was 25 Celsius 77 Fahrenheit and it was great. Minus 4c outside and 2 feet of snow on the ground. My Fuji cherry has started flowering, Trident maples and Zelcova are leafing out. I have heard of others trying to slow their trees down and moderate the temperatures as much as possible but for me the chance to enjoy trees waking up and getting spring started in March instead of the end of May is wonderful.😁

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I have a Govee thermometer/hygrometer with bluetooth so I can check from inside the house that works great 17 Canadian bucks on Amazon. It also charts min/max temps etc. I was out in the greenhouse today, it was 25 Celsius 77 Fahrenheit and it was great. Minus 4c outside and 2 feet of snow on the ground. My Fuji cherry has started flowering, Trident maples and Zelcova are leafing out. I have heard of others trying to slow their trees down and moderate the temperatures as much as possible but for me the chance to enjoy trees waking up and getting spring started in March instead of the end of May is wonderful.😁
Wow! That a huge temp difference! How do you ensure the temps don’t dip in the greenhouse? I suppose 25 Fahrenheit outside won’t harm your trees in there.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mine did great this year! Things are waking up, but everyone's things are waking up. A nursery owner let me take some opaque plastic sheeting which really saved my butt - that plus 70% shade cloth did the trick. Heat was definitely the hardest part to manage but with doors / roof panels open during the day and closed at night it would do fine. I do have some cheap fans and a small greenhouse heater. Finally, I did use that window insulating vacuum-seal film on the inside of the panels.

It's one of the "cheaper" 12x8s you see on Costco but it's done great. It's a small space to manage temps in as @rockm calls out so I'm pretty happy with how it went. Will add more gravel next year which should help. Biggest concern is - will it be able to be used for growing vegetables this year, or will it get so hot they torch? We will see...

Robertji

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow! That a huge temp difference! How do you ensure the temps don’t dip in the greenhouse? I suppose 25 Fahrenheit outside won’t harm your trees in there.
I have a heater on a thermostat at 3-5 c so things don’t freeze.

Top Bottom