Overwintering in hoop house.

Emrys

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am planning to build a relatively small and simple hoop house to over winter my trees in. I was wondering if any of you have a recommendation for a good plastic material for the cover. And what about the transparency vs opacity issue. Light needed or not. Conifer vs deciduous needs relative to light overwinter.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Honest in our climate I would use Burlap from the local Agway. They sell it by the foot on the cheap. I would not use plastic main reason being you don't want a mini hothouse. The trees need to winter. A hoop house covered in burlap would give you protection from wind and allow light, rain, and snow to penetrate. Another alternative might be a 30 percent shade cloth but a bit pricier.

GrimLore

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Opaque white, or it turns into a green house.
Works for a friend in Connecticut.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
3.5 mil solex and a 60% shade cloth if it's going to be in the direct line of the sun. You'll also want a fan to circulate the air and a opening for intake and exhaust. The burlap ideas good as well as it will self ventilate, but not much light will penetrate so depends what you're keeping in there and if you plan to heat it or not.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I am planning to build a relatively small and simple hoop house to over winter my trees in. I was wondering if any of you have a recommendation for a good plastic material for the cover. And what about the transparency vs opacity issue. Light needed or not. Conifer vs deciduous needs relative to light overwinter.

I learned the hard way, opaque plastic. I got my frame and plastic from:
http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/prod1;gs1_high_tunnels_cold_frames;pg105158f_105159F.html
http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/prod1;gs_greenhouse_films;pg108627.html

And my setup/experience: http://bonsaistudygroup.com/general-discussion/greenhouse-pictures/

Edit: I'm adding insul. foam boards this yr on the sides (and top if possible). Going to get the supplies next wed. Without some insul., it was impossible to keep above freezing using a 1500wt. heater for reference.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I suggested the Burlap because he originally stated "simple"... The grade they have at Agway off the roll lets in plenty of light. In the Northeast the biggest concern is usually wind damage and burlap allows air movement and protection without "sealed" unit problems such as heat and air movement.

Grimmy

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I suggested the Burlap because he originally stated "simple"... The grade they have at Agway off the roll lets in plenty of light. In the Northeast the biggest concern is usually wind damage and burlap allows air movement and protection without "sealed" unit problems such as heat and air movement.

Grimmy

A Burlap lean-to is the best possible. Keeps the wind and light off the trees. Cover the trees with a little mulch up to the trunks and you should be OK. A plastic hoop tent will act like a hot house and you don't want that.

Emrys

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for all your insights. I like the burlap idea.

Bill- not big maybe 15-20' long , 3-4' wide and 4' high. Strange dims based on long and narrow yard. I live in Brooklyn Ny. So not much space.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you live in Brooklyn, you probably have a yard which is surrounded by other houses, perhaps a fence too. So, you will probably not have too much wind to cope with. Since it's not too wide, you will probably only get to it from the wide sides, not the ends, makes a difference with your covering.

If I had your conditions, based on the odd size overwintering house, and in your specific location I would:

Construct hoop house

Cover first with burlap, securing the far side tightly to the ground, perhaps burying it a couple of inches, then stake it to the ground

Cover the burlap with a tarp loosely, perhaps the blue kind sold in hardware stores, NOT poly which will hold heat

Perhaps only cover with blue tarp when high winds are expected or if the temperature forecast is below 20F

Leave the ends open

Secure the wide part with stakes, allowing for easy inspection

In late winter, remove the blue tarp, leaving the burlap

That's what I would do.

Good luck!

Bill

Emrys

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you live in Brooklyn, you probably have a yard which is surrounded by other houses, perhaps a fence too. So, you will probably not have too much wind to cope with. Since it's not too wide, you will probably only get to it from the wide sides, not the ends, makes a difference with your covering.

If I had your conditions, based on the odd size overwintering house, and in your specific location I would:

Construct hoop house

Cover first with burlap, securing the far side tightly to the ground, perhaps burying it a couple of inches, then stake it to the ground

Cover the burlap with a tarp loosely, perhaps the blue kind sold in hardware stores, NOT poly which will hold heat

Perhaps only cover with blue tarp when high winds are expected or if the temperature forecast is below 20F

Leave the ends open

Secure the wide part with stakes, allowing for easy inspection

In late winter, remove the blue tarp, leaving the burlap

That's what I would do.

Good luck!

Bill

Almost. But the yard receives quite a bit of wind. It is surrounded by houses but the yards hear are as wide as the houses but often deeper and butted up against one another creating long "green belts". Yes fenced but in my situation they are all chain link for 5 houses in a row and my specific location / orientation seems to be in a wind tunnel. I'm not too concerned about the temps here as much as I am about the wind combined with low temps. I have mostly native species except for a few that also are very cold hardy. A nice trident is my biggest concern for the lower temps we get here.

I too was thinking to keep it open on both sides. Thanks for the tips.

And if anyone wants to comment on the light requirement debate for conifers vs deciduous I would like to hear your thoughts. The only conifer I have is a ponderosa pine. I also have a Hinoki and a few junipers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Evergreens, both narrow leaf and broad leaf do NOT require light in our area of the country. This is not the case a few hundred miles south where the temperatures do not get as low as ours.

Bill

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would consider securing one side of the covering to a long pvc pipe that can be staked down in one or two places. That way you can easily lift and/or roll the whole covering back over the frame and access the entire row.

for the more experienced members: Would you mulch the soil or is this just a recipe for pests?

Emrys

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Evergreens, both narrow leaf and broad leaf do NOT require light in our area of the country. This is not the case a few hundred miles south where the temperatures do not get as low as ours.

Bill

And the deciduous trees??

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Deciduous species do not require ANY light during their dormant season. In fact, the lack of light may help them stay dormant longer.
Bill

Top Bottom