Overwintering in zone 9b Sonoma county California?

Jhervi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi yall,

Anyone here live in zone 9b here in California? I was curious what preparations, if any, you make in the fall/winter season for your bonsai? Cold frames, ground planting, frost protection, ect...

I currently have all my bonsai on a wooden table on the south west side of the house. I bought a frost cloth from the local hardware store to cover them on the nights that are in the low 30's.

Here in a sonoma county we are just starting to get nights with frost, so I wanted to try and prepare for the winter months.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I live on an island in an 8b hardiness zone (i.e., one that can get colder than yours). Everything sits outside year 'round, even my cork oaks. There are giant sequoia and coastal redwoods growing here, some on the far side of 50-some years.

Unless you are growing tropical stuff, you don't need any of this fuss that you are talking about. I don't have any true tropical trees and don't worry about anything unless temps are going to drop below 15F - it never gets that cold in 9b.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m just in between y’all in Oregon and I also don’t take any special precautions for wintering. On the rare occasion every few years that a decent snow accumulates I will go out every few hours and knock the snow off.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I 2nd MrWunderful, use your blanket for any ficus or tropicals you have if it gets below 35 degrees.

shakotan710

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi yall,

Anyone here live in zone 9b here in California? I was curious what preparations, if any, you make in the fall/winter season for your bonsai? Cold frames, ground planting, frost protection, ect...

I currently have all my bonsai on a wooden table on the south west side of the house. I bought a frost cloth from the local hardware store to cover them on the nights that are in the low 30's.

Here in a sonoma county we are just starting to get nights with frost, so I wanted to try and prepare for the winter months.
Hi Jhervi,

I’ve been living in Sacramento (also 9b) and I protect tropicals and certain succulents by bringing them in my garage or indoors (with an appropriate light source) once it gets consistently below 40F.

All other trees stay outside and on the ground during winter to help retain a little heat instead of being blown by cold winds in winter.

I know this is late but will hopefully aid you for next winter.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
If you're not already a member I suggest you join Redwood Empire Bonsai Society (REBS) in Santa Rosa. A lot of good bonsai practitioners in that club.

Top Bottom