Overwintering Larix Decidua

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My European Larch is in a 12" deep pot and I'm in zone 6B. I'm trying to decide if I should put it in the ground for the winter or not. Wanted to find out the general concensus. It's on the south side of my brick house and somewhat protected against the wind.IMG_2537.JPG

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just put it on the ground and shovel snow on it whenever you can. The tree will 100% be fine, but the pot has a high chance of breaking if it's regular terra cota, so be ready for a repot in the spring.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
put it on the ground, out of wind and sun. besides watering, forget about it till spring.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Suggest using terra cotta Bulb pot(or bulb pan)shallower than tall to develop shallower roots ;).

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes I do plan to repot it next year. I bought this tree last spring and put it in this pot to allow some thickening of the trunk through the summer. It’s done well and I plan to chop the top off and do some initial wiring once the needles fall.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I do plan to repot it next year. I bought this tree last spring and put it in this pot to allow some thickening of the trunk through the summer. It’s done well and I plan to chop the top off and do some initial wiring once the needles fall.
Better wait until spring for that.

By the way, if you still have dead needles hanging on at this point of the year, they might stay attached for the whole winter, but it doesn't change anything.

brainfree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Cosmos. I’ve had conflicting responses regarding when to prune and wire. I’ll have to do more research.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Cosmos. I’ve had conflicting responses regarding when to prune and wire. I’ll have to do more research.

I don't have a definitive answer to that, but the old guard here in Québec has historically often styled larches in the fall, and then complained about losing branches in the winter. I wouldn't hesitate about minor pruning of some branches in the fall (for conifers or deciduous), but any kind of wiring when you put significant bends in branches, I'd leave for spring, otherwise you create tears in plant tissue and there's no healing going on for 4-5-6 months while the tree is dormant.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the end, it all comes down to your wintershelter. I wire larches mid-winter. BUT if I see a cold period coming up (frost, more than a few degrees) I will put the tree in a shed away from wind and sun. With good winter weather (Which here means temps in low 40-ies) there is no reason not to wire.

Top Bottom