Overwintering mulch

Nj6964

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This may be an extremely silly question...I prepping my trees for winter. Going to put them in a low wind area and cover with mulch. I happen to have 3 bags of Scott’s triple shred black that never made it to my shrubs. My question is, does anyone see an issue with using colored mulch to overwinter? I can’t imagine that either A. The colorant to be too harmful (it’s meant for landscaping) and B. Much of the colorant will make it into the trees.

While we’re at it, any other preferences for overwintering mulch? I imagine it doesn’t really matter. I may get something fine and consider the winter as “aging” it...so I get “aged” mulch come spring. Thanks all!

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can use leaves and hay as mulch too. It does not have to be bagged mulch.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The colored mulch should not harm your tree. I would not worry about it.

Your plan sounds acceptable.

Except. Consider varmint control. Are voles, mice & rabbits common in your yard? Ground squirrels? These can all move into mulch piles and then they spend the winter nibbling on your trees eating the bark off. IF yes, they are common, consider wire mesh cage to exclude the critters. Or don't put the mulch down until after the ground freezes. Usually by the time the ground freezes, the varmints have chosen their winter homes, if you put the mulch down after the ground has been frozen a few weeks, the varmints are less likely to move in over the winter. Not a guaranteed strategy, but it helps a little. Steel cages are about the only sure bet for keeping varmints out.

I usually don't have trouble with varmints, only because I have between 3 and 5 feral cats that seem to like hanging out in my back yard. But others have lost many trees due to varmints.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I scattered a liberal amount of mole/vole repellent in, over, and around my trees when I mulched them. They sell it a Lowes, etc. It basically is castor oil in sand sized particles of clay. Voles etc. hate the smell and go elsewhere.

Top Bottom