Oyster shells ok?

Civilengr3

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6ab
I have a bag of crushed oyster shells for poultry. Would this be a good soil medium or is there too much calcium?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Its not the calcium but the alkalinity you need to worry about. They are about 95% calcium carbonate—like taking Tums or spreading ground limestone on your front yard.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Soil medium? unless you have a insanely acidic soil, and only using it in the right amount in the mix would be useful

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The particles also pack due to the fact they are flat rather than round. I used hundreds upon hundreds of pounds of this in marine aquarium systems many years ago. It kept the pH buffered at about 8.3.

D

Deleted member 32750

I never understand why people like to reinvent the wheel when it comes to soil.
for young stock you’re better off using potting mix for older trees if you really want a cheap soil mix you can go to any garden and feed store in the US and buy pumice for dirt cheap.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yes, can be used on succulents, juniper and ficus.

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get the chicken grit in granite from the feed store or tractor supply. Cheap and works great.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
for young stock you’re better off using potting mix for older trees if you really want a cheap soil mix you can go to any garden and feed store in the US and buy pumice for dirt cheap.
For the majority of people this is correct but depending on your location it can be difficult and/or expensive to get basic stuff like pumice. I can no longer get pumice where I live because the one nursery that carried it got sold a couple years ago and they have not gotten a shipment since. 10+ years of getting pumice from the only place in town and I bought them out this spring. Next spring is going to suck.

Not trying to be a jerk or nothing but sourcing locally available substrate isn't always easy for everyone.

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
What he / she said.

Seems to me it is a fair question. If you have a lot of something available, so why not consider it.

The first few answers seem pretty good in listing the issues.

I find it interesting reading about all the soil mixes. Seems to me these days there is a shift to what is readily available near you. ie Cheap, and therefore more likely to be sustainable.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You will not be able to use it on any acid loving plants such as azalea.
Not sure if pines would like it either

Reactions: bbk

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
You will not be able to use it on any acid loving plants such as azalea.
Not sure if pines would like it either
Don’t get acid and alkaline living mixed up either…

D

Deleted member 32750

For the majority of people this is correct but depending on your location it can be difficult and/or expensive to get basic stuff like pumice. I can no longer get pumice where I live because the one nursery that carried it got sold a couple years ago and they have not gotten a shipment since. 10+ years of getting pumice from the only place in town and I bought them out this spring. Next spring is going to suck.

Not trying to be a jerk or nothing but sourcing locally available substrate isn't always easy for everyone.
Potting mix and perlite can be found anywhere and that is a fantastic mix for young plants. And if pumice is hard to find locally it can be purchased for cheap on amazon with free 2 day shipping 🙂

i just find it silly that people try to use unorthodox soil components like crushed brick or oyster shells when there are easier soil components to use.

but if the OP feels compelled to use oyster shells please do document the results, I’d be very curious to see how it works out for you.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

With all the volcanos in Alaska I find it surprising that volcanic materials like pumice or lava rock is not readily available. I’m sure that if you are not in an area with this then the cost of shipping it might be prohibitive. Sort of like me buying dried New Zealand sphagnum moss.

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
With all the volcanos in Alaska I find it surprising that volcanic materials like pumice or lava rock is not readily available. I’m sure that if you are not in an area with this then the cost of shipping it might be prohibitive. Sort of like me buying dried New Zealand sphagnum moss.
Sometimes things aren’t as simple as that.
Take New Zealand. Known for how many sheep it has. Yet it has been really expensive over the years to buy lamb in NZ… for the farmers, they got more selling it elsewhere.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don’t get acid and alkaline living mixed up either…
Calcium carbonate will be alkaline.
I know azaleas like soil more on the acidic side.
I am not 100% sure about pines but I think they also tend to prefer acidic, but not as much as azaleas

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are multiple pumice deposits in Alaska but the mines were only in operation for a few years and closed around 1950. There are plenty of mines here but I assume that precious metals and rare earth mineral are slightly more profitable than pumice. Sphagnum moss on the other hand is easily collectable in whatever quantity I need.

Shipping cost is a deal breaker for me. I've spent so many hours looking for substrates to ship here. The best I've found is buildasoil at $211 a yard but shipping is about $1350 so that comes to like $57 a cubic foot. The only decent volume of pumice I've found on Amazon is basically the same price and most of the time it's significantly more. Amazon is also annoying, even if you have prime shipping takes forever and it's not worth it. I'm currently on day 9 waiting for a package and they said it would be 4 days. My daughter ordered something on July 16 and it got here yesterday. There are multiple places online that have good prices with free shipping if you spend $100 or whatever but that's only the lower 48. I've been getting it for about $20 a cubic foot for years but it's no longer available. I've also gone to feed stores and nurseries to talk to people trying to get them to order. One nursery said they might next year and a feed store said If I could find a product they could sell they would start carrying it but that didn't work out.

Perlite works, I guess. It's so light it floats and pots get blown over. I use it because I have to but I've always hated it unless I'm doing cuttings, seedlings, house plants etc.

Sorry for the rant. I've wasted so much time trying to source stuff up here and searching online. I need a trigger warning before anyone mentions pumice lol/

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At least you can reuse the pumice you have when something dies, right? I wonder if it could be boiled. I would do that for a dollar a pound because that's what it is here.:)

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Where is said cheap pumice?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There are multiple pumice deposits in Alaska but the mines were only in operation for a few years and closed around 1950. There are plenty of mines here but I assume that precious metals and rare earth mineral are slightly more profitable than pumice. Sphagnum moss on the other hand is easily collectable in whatever quantity I need.

Shipping cost is a deal breaker for me. I've spent so many hours looking for substrates to ship here. The best I've found is buildasoil at $211 a yard but shipping is about $1350 so that comes to like $57 a cubic foot. The only decent volume of pumice I've found on Amazon is basically the same price and most of the time it's significantly more. Amazon is also annoying, even if you have prime shipping takes forever and it's not worth it. I'm currently on day 9 waiting for a package and they said it would be 4 days. My daughter ordered something on July 16 and it got here yesterday. There are multiple places online that have good prices with free shipping if you spend $100 or whatever but that's only the lower 48. I've been getting it for about $20 a cubic foot for years but it's no longer available. I've also gone to feed stores and nurseries to talk to people trying to get them to order. One nursery said they might next year and a feed store said If I could find a product they could sell they would start carrying it but that didn't work out.

Perlite works, I guess. It's so light it floats and pots get blown over. I use it because I have to but I've always hated it unless I'm doing cuttings, seedlings, house plants etc.

Sorry for the rant. I've wasted so much time trying to source stuff up here and searching online. I need a trigger warning before anyone mentions pumice lol
Have you tried bonsai jack?

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you tried bonsai jack?
it's just hard to make the leap to online prices after sourcing things local probably, I know I feel the same way about pine mulch.

Top Bottom