P. Afra and NAPA 8822

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone here have experience using NAPA 8822 as a soil component with P. Afra? In the fall I repotted a small p. Afra into a mix of sifted pumice, pine bark, and NAPA 8822. I had others I planted in plain potting soil. The one planted in the 8822 mix is doing the worse. This could be due to too much root pruning or poor watering but I want to know if people had success with 8822 as a soil component for succulents.

lehigh4me

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a few in finer particles of 8822 and they are doing great. I water mine about every 4 or 5 days in the winter and more in the summer.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have used 100% Napa in the past with really good results. As I think about it, I might go back to it. My guess is that your substrate is not the issue. Maybe the light/sun?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My crassula has been thriving in 100% NAPA for 2 yrs or more.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Light should not be an issue. I have some Jaboticaba under the same light and they a putting on lots of new growth. I am suspecting my watering or some disease now.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I tried adding it into some of my soil last year. I did not like it. It didn't seem to make things worse but it seems to have deposited a lot of dust. I washed it well before adding it so it's either breaking down or I was too rough mixing my soil.

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i have a few growing now in different mediums. a few in lava. a few in straight pumice, a couple with 1:1:1 pumice lava akadama and one in traditional nursery potting soil. the one in potting soil stays too wet and i wouldnt do that again.
i have noticed a difference when taking cuttings. for cuttings i have been using small pumice and with a 100% success.
i agree with mrwunderful that they can grow in anything if special attention is given to control moisture.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I use plain old MiracleGro cactus/succulent soil, it works fine. But as said, they will probably grow in anything.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use plain old MiracleGro cactus/succulent soil, it works fine. But as said, they will probably grow in anything.
Yeah it seems like there must be another issue with all these success stories with 8822. I think it has a disease.

I have tried the MiracleGro Cactus soil and I am pretty sure it is just regular MiracleGro potting soil. I does not seem to be free draining at all.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yeah it seems like there must be another issue with all these success stories with 8822. I think it has a disease.

I have tried the MiracleGro Cactus soil and I am pretty sure it is just regular MiracleGro potting soil. I does not seem to be free draining at all.
Hmmm. I have lots of jade and p. afras in it. It dries out quickly, never had a problem with it. Maybe, just me.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmm. I have lots of jade and p. afras in it. It dries out quickly, never had a problem with it. Maybe, just me.
Or maybe just me or the local mix they sell to the north east. I was expecting more perlite or some sort of grit to keep it free draining. I think it is just peat and some sand.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Or maybe just me or the local mix they sell to the north east. I was expecting more perlite or some sort of grit to keep it free draining. I think it is just peat and some sand.
It seems to drain freely, and dries out pretty quickly. I just have cuttings and such in it, nothing good.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience using NAPA 8822 as a soil component with P. Afra? In the fall I repotted a small p. Afra into a mix of sifted pumice, pine bark, and NAPA 8822. I had others I planted in plain potting soil. The one planted in the 8822 mix is doing the worse. This could be due to too much root pruning or poor watering but I want to know if people had success with 8822 as a soil component for succulents.
My bougainvillea has been happy since fall last year.
20190206_172750.jpg

t_fareal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
once you sift it, keep the dust and grains... you can spread that around other trees and gardens... kills aphids and slugs dont like DE...

wash it and let it sit out and dry, i put mine inside under a grow light...

its hard to work with wet, but its super dusty..

Top Bottom