P. Afra styling

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
OK, new thread. I got a nice sized P.afra the base is about a 7” around. first thing I thought of was Jim Smith. I wanna turn this into a Jim smith style tree an informal upright tree with layers of pads. I need help picking a front and a new apex. I just repotted it in a 14” container. Any tips? It could make a cool broom style but... Jim Smith... what do you think? is it worth cutting it back?

I’m thinking this guy as the new leader. Should I chop all the rest?

just.wing.it

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wow!....
Did that come from Meehan's?
Nice starter material for Spekboom.

I have a much smaller one, had it since 2015.
Was just a rooted cutting, nothing like what you have here.

What I know is, they like to dry out a bit between waterings and when healthy they can take a very hard pruning, no problem.

Also, while pruning that beast, you'll get several large cuttings that that will easily root for you, and you could have a whole forrest of them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow!....
Did that come from Meehan's?
Thanks man. Im not sure, Ive never been up there, I would like to sometime soon. I got it in Richmond at Strange's nursery i'm not sure where they get their supply from, But it was pretty cheap so i'm a happy man.
Yeah, I have others that I got from cuttings last year but nothing big, I want this guy to grow grow grow but in a different direction...Long term project for sure

just.wing.it

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yours has some size to it already, opposed to most of what you'd find around here....
If you want a trunk with some movement, I'd eliminate one of the two at the first major junction there.....probably take it down to a single leader.
If you want to thicken the base still....let it grow.

They'll never grow for us as fast and big as they do in Africa.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They'll never grow for us as fast and big as they do in Africa.
I know right. Ive seen a post with some Aussies taking huge cuttings from their front yard, it amazes me.
Do you think let it grow wild like it is or to selective prune to a leader and then let it grow wild? I'm leaning toward the later get the leggy stuff out of the way and then don't touch for a while. Got some prime months for growth coming up! I'm pretty new to bonsai this is my second year, and i have never been so excited for long sunny days.

MrWunderful

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Portys are succulents not deciduous trees, so big trunk chops heal more like a scab than bark rolling over. So growing leaders to develop taper can be done, but can leave large scars in a tree that size.

Quoting my post from the other thread:
Its going to be a lot of work and time to make that an informal upright. I would keep it as a broom and clean up the structure first.

Leave the leggy growth on the branches you dont remove until you get back budding. Once you get a decent amount of back budding, cut the leggy stuff back.

Start maint. Pruning back to two nodes to develop ramification. I fertilize heavy with miracle grow every week as well as slow release on the soil. I also water mine quite a bit. I have an informal upright porty that I have been slowly cutting back I got a few months ago, if you would like to see it

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Portys are succulents not deciduous trees, so big trunk chops heal more like a scab than bark rolling over. So growing leaders to develop taper can be done, but can leave large scars in a tree that size.

Quoting my post from the other thread:
Its going to be a lot of work and time to make that an informal upright. I would keep it as a broom and clean up the structure first.

Leave the leggy growth on the branches you dont remove until you get back budding. Once you get a decent amount of back budding, cut the leggy stuff back.

Start maint. Pruning back to two nodes to develop ramification. I fertilize heavy with miracle grow every week as well as slow release on the soil. I also water mine quite a bit. I have an informal upright porty that I have been slowly cutting back I got a few months ago, if you would like to see it
Sry I didnt respond on the other post.
I actually like old scars or hollowed out areas, gives character imo. So i'm ok with those cut backs to create taper. James-J-Smith-With-Bonsai.jpgcheck out that nasty scar!
Yeah I would love to see your port! maybe it will make me change my mind about the style im headed in...