P Afra transplant support

SpruceWillis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello everyone,

I transplanted this P Afra on Saturday (5.5 days ago), and am yet to see any new growth.

As per Adam’s Advice I haven’t watered and won’t until I see any new growth, but im wondering if 5 days seems normal? I don’t mind letting it dry out if it’s appropriate, but it feels wrong in that fresh bonsai mix!

The two pics are from Saturday morning (left) and today, Thursday evening (right).

I’ll keep holding strong but am interested in your opinions!

Attachments

• F99C7530-D3AD-4C14-A677-6C3B46B3FD45.jpeg
    F99C7530-D3AD-4C14-A677-6C3B46B3FD45.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 3B62686F-8037-449E-90EC-F651A450C407.jpeg
    3B62686F-8037-449E-90EC-F651A450C407.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 35

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Is that a cutting? Or is it a repot? Either way I also wait until I see new growth to water. For a cutting it's usually 2-3 weeks. For a repot about a week or so.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am confused on why you wouldn't water it.
I've started many cuttings of these over the past year, and just water them like I normally would for everyday care- a good drink, then let them dry out almost completely. I squeeze the leaves to see if they're "full" or not to get an idea about when the soil is drying out.
Nothing has needed a repot yet, but it doesn't seem to me to be making a difference on growth and rooting.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've started many cuttings of these over the past year, and just water them like I normally would for everyday care- a good drink, then let them dry out almost completely. I squeeze the leaves to see if they're "full" or not to get an idea about when the soil is drying out.
Nothing has needed a repot yet, but it doesn't seem to me to be making a difference on growth and rooting.
The OP included a link to Adam Lavigne's blog that explains it very well. I used to treat all of my succulents like any other plant and always had mediocre results or worse. Once I started using specific succulent care my results improved.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

He's growing tropicals in Canada, so the sun/heat isn't going to be strong enough to need as much watering. Down here in Houston I have to water every other day to every third day or I'm getting wrinkled leaves. Dirt needs less watering, I can water P afra in Bonsai soil daily without issue.

The only reason to water a cutting is to keep the soil slightly damp in preparation for tender roots, it doesn't have any roots so it can't actually use the water. That said, the sooner you start watering when it does produce roots, the sooner it will start top growth again. They can root without water but the top growth just stays in stasis.

Top Bottom