P. Afra trunk chop.

Bad_Bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looking to knowing what the result of a trunk chop on this would be.

I can something great out of that top portion but I'm not sure if it would survive the proceedure. If I go through with it, it'd late spring early summer where I can actually get some sun.

anyone have experience decapitating a jade?
I know cuttings root easy but this is a sizable cutting.

should I air layer this instead? Can succulents be air layered?

Thanks for the help.
20210212_220253.jpg20210212_220226.jpg

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Don’t bother with an airlayer. They root so easily, I don’t even know if it’s possible to air layer it.

If you were going to chop to nothing, you might as well chop lower so you can actually build some taper.

If you chop below where there is foliage, it should pop buds somewhere on the trunk if healthy.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a bunch of cuttings in the works now, they're doing fine, under lights though. I wouldn't hesitate to do it now. What kind of soil is it in, looks like regular potting soil. I use cactus/succulent soil for all of mine. They seem to like it.

Bad_Bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a bunch of cuttings in the works now, they're doing fine, under lights though. I wouldn't hesitate to do it now. What kind of soil is it in, looks like regular potting soil. I use cactus/succulent soil for all of mine. They seem to like it.
It's in the original potting soil - the cutting (trunk chop) I'd take would be stuck in a free draining mix I use for my potted trees. It's akadama, hyuga and compost - little heavier on the compost on account of local climate.

Top Bottom