Pacific Blue Juniper

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Been about 25 years since I hacked away at a juniper for bonsai training but feel my way as I go. I picked up this Pacific Blue Juniper as well as a procumbens 'nana'. The Pacific Blue was quite a mess of branches and very thick but down in there looked like a few good ones I could use once I got things untangled and thinned out. So the first photo is of it in all it's chaotic monstrous glory when I picked it up this past week for about $8. The second and third photos are after a serious pruning and some very basic wiring. I'd prefer to use copper wire on this one but everything is in storage. It'll do for now. I'm letting it rest a bit after the mauling while I look around to see if I have anything suitable to repot it into and begin work on the roots. I still have lots of fine tuning to do with the wiring but feedback is very welcome! Some of the branches I have retained to grow on for a while yet to shape and style later into dead wood areas for jin. I will probably mount this on a rock at some point as I love craggy stones, if I can find a good one down the road. Gnarly limestone would be nice.

Pacific Blue Juniper.jpgPacific Blue Juniper Training-1.jpgPacific Blue Juniper Training-2.jpg

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Obviously I haven't wired out any of the smaller branches yet, nor trimmed back to encourage thicker foliage pads.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't reworked this one for spring yet but I am strongly leaning to taking this whole thing more upright. I like the look of that part a lot more than I am liking the cascade on it and it seems more pliant than my procumbens. I'll update with new photos once I have had time to go at it.

Top Bottom